We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weather Jan - march

Which Halifax hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Salem
Weather Jan - march

My daughter will be working in Halifax jan through march. She is taking her car. We are Boston/Worcester/north shore folks. Was hoping someone could give us an idea of weather, driving conditions, I'm driving up with her then flying home.. Any advise would be appreciated. She will be living in Dartmouth.

Manitoba
reviews: 34
1. Re: Weather Jan - march

The short answer is be prepared for anything. Beautiful clear roads, freezing rain, sun, lots of snow, black ice, cloudy skies, bad slippery roads, etc. Very difficult to predict as it can change from day to day and year to year. Best bet is to have supplies in the trunk just in case and adjust your speed and plans based on the weather forecast.

I know this is not very helpful at all, but it is the truth. Anything goes in the winter. One year could be beautiful with little snow and great roads, next could be brutal.

I lived in Dartmouth for five years and commuted to downtown Halifax for work every day. On a great day the commute took only a few mins. On the ansolute worst day it took hours due to bed weather, bridge back ups, etc. there is no real answer to give you. :(

Nova Scotia
reviews: 135
2. Re: Weather Jan - march

If you are familiar with Worcester weather, then you are probably familiar with our weather. (we have driven thru Worcester many times in the winter). I think the only difference would be the chance of more fog and black ice, as Halifax/Dartmouth is on the water. As graywolfpack has suggested, be prepared for anything, get good winter tires on the car, drive defensively and always allow extra time.

Toronto, Canada
reviews: 494
3. Re: Weather Jan - march

The weather can change very quickly as well, I would think that paying a bit of extra attention to the weather channel would be recommended (it's kind of a Canadian tradition to follow the weather!)....

Bedford, Canada
reviews: 77
4. Re: Weather Jan - march

Just tell her to take her time until she gets used to the driving conditions. The weather is very similar to Mass. The only difference is the forecasts are not as accurate here. They can't always predict the weather because we are effected by weather systems coming up the coast and coming from Central Canada.

Edited: 7:37 am, December 07, 2012
Nova Scotia
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
reviews: 80
5. Re: Weather Jan - march

Yes, our weather is very similar to Boston. In the winter the weather systems generally go from south to north and we get Boston's weather a day later.

Your daughter should seriously consider getting good winter tires if she does not have them.

Truro, Canada
reviews: 17
6. Re: Weather Jan - march

One of the things that holds our country together is our obsession with our weather. Canadians can talk about weather "(cold, hot, wet) enough for you?" with the best of them! Halifax has a "grey" winter rather than a "white" one compared with the rest of our province. The day can start with snow & end with rain or visa versa .A popular saying around here is "If you do not like the weather, just wait 5 minutes."

Edited: 5:18 pm, December 07, 2012
Salem
7. Re: Weather Jan - march

Although i have visited tripadvisor many times, This was my first post and you were all so helpful! Sounds like it will be a familiar environment at least weather wise, I wonder how Santa is going to fit the tires down the chimney. Next stop,flights from Halifax to Boston. Thank you!!

8. Re: Weather Jan - march

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 8:35 pm, December 07, 2012
9. Re: Weather Jan - march

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:17 pm, December 17, 2013