We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How 2 fill out “Landing Card” from Canada Customs correctly?

Which Halifax hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Saudi Arabia
reviews: 2
How 2 fill out “Landing Card” from Canada Customs correctly?

Greetings:

In a few days, I will be arriving in Halifax for my annual summer vacation in Canada. Before the plane lands, the flight attendants will be passing out the "Landing Cards" from Canada Customs. I am Canadian but I only plan to stay in Canada for two months so I think Customs sees me only as a visitor. I don’t like making mistakes on anything because mistakes can cause unneeded delays. Mostly importantly, does anyone know how much I can claim for gifts and I mean the maximum amount. I have been out of the country two months (I was in Canada at the end of March for family business for exactly one week) so can I claim (maximum amount) $60 or $750 for gifts or some other amount? Yes, I did this card the end of March but usually I absent from Canada for ten months, not two months as I was this year so I was wondering if anything is different this time. I just want to pass in my card at Canada, receive the official “OK” and go pick up my rental car without any hassles what so ever. Any information given is greatly appreciated.

Nova Scotia
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
reviews: 97
1. Re: How 2 fill out “Landing Card” from Canada Customs correctly?

cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publications/pub/bsf5082-eng…

cbsa.gc.ca/publications/pub/bsf5056-eng.html

One of these should fit your situation.

Edited: 2:32 pm, May 27, 2012
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
reviews: 54
2. Re: How 2 fill out “Landing Card” from Canada Customs correctly?

The form is called a Declaration Card. I would also suggest you use the "Contact Us" on one of the forms above to contact CBSA directly. You can find it in the black navigation bar. The Declaration Card has space for Visitors and Canadian Residents. You don't seem to be a Canadian resident (people who actually live here) so your situation may need an official interpretation. A few days may not be enough time, so I would mention that urgency in any communication. It might help.

Toronto, Canada
3. Re: How 2 fill out “Landing Card” from Canada Customs correctly?

Mistakes can cause minor delays and are a fact of life. Lying on your customs declaration -- even if only because you don't want the hassle of dealing with being a little bit over your limits -- can cause major delays on this and future trips.

It sounds to me like you are not a resident of Canada. The rules can get complex, but typically if you're here for less than six months per year you're not considered a resident of Canada for customs purposes. Multiple short trips per year do not make you a resident of Canada, so things are no different just because you were here a couple of months ago. The $200/$750 personal exemptions would not apply to you, as they are for residents only.

As a non-resident, you are allowed to bring in gifts where _each_ gift is valued at C$60 or less.

The most important thing is that you complete the declaration card _honestly_. If you are not sure if you've filled out the form correctly, explain that to the customs officer when you arrive; they'll be happy to correct any technical mistakes as long as you are providing a true and complete declaration.

Ottawa, Canada
reviews: 44
4. Re: How 2 fill out “Landing Card” from Canada Customs correctly?

On the E-311 (the Declaration card) you are a Canadian Citizen, but a visitor. As a citizen you have the right to enter Canada. As for the gift amount - you can bring in a gift for any amount, but duty and tax will be applicable on any amount over $60.

Don't wrap the gift - it will be opened.

Ensure you make an honest declaration and all will be fine.

5. Re: How 2 fill out “Landing Card” from Canada Customs correctly?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:17 am, June 21, 2013