We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Possible to see Montreal, Quebec, Gaspesie, and Nova Scotia?

Which Halifax hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Gaithersburg...
reviews: 8
Possible to see Montreal, Quebec, Gaspesie, and Nova Scotia?

My husband and I are teachers from Maryland and would like to do a road trip this summer to see Montreal, Quebec City, the Gaspe Peninsula and Nova Scotia. We would drive to Montreal to begin our touring. How much time should we plan to do this trip? We will be camping as much as possible. We like to do scenic drives and stop and see whatever comes along. We prefer the trip not be longer than four weeks. Perhaps this itinerary needs more time than that? It's hard to decide how long to stay in each place. It's often better to know a place well than just to breeze through it.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
reviews: 37
1. Re: Possible to see Montreal, Quebec, Gaspesie, and Nova Scotia?

Hi Pinkbegonias ~

I'll chime in with my two bits. The drive between Montreal and Halifax might take about 20 hours, by the most direct route, stops extra. Say you wanted to drive only 5 hours a day, you've got approx 4 days to get from one to the other. So, folding in those travel days, I would suggest:

4-5 nights Montreal

3-4 nights Quebec

3-4-5 nights Gaspé Peninsula (I can't offer any advice on the Gaspé Pen in terms of what to see or where to go, or really how long to plan to stay there.)

2 weeks in Nova Scotia.

I certainly think it could be done, especially if you tweaked the above guestimates the way you wanted them. Anyway, these suggestions may get you started.

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto, TripAdvisor Support
reviews: 65
2. Re: Possible to see Montreal, Quebec, Gaspesie, and Nova Scotia?

Hi Pinkbegonias;

Just a reminder…citizens of the United States require one of the following to cross the border by land.

• U.S. Passport

• U.S. Passport Card

• Enhanced Driver’s License (EDL)

• Trusted Traveler Program Card

For complete details;

http://www.knowyourborder.gov/

Best Regards

Halifax, Canada
reviews: 75
3. Re: Possible to see Montreal, Quebec, Gaspesie, and Nova Scotia?

Hi! It is good to see you planning in advance.

Go to novascotia.com to order a guide and map, and start your planning.

www.novascotia.com/en/home/default.aspx

Depending upon your interests you may find you won't need so much time in Montreal. Quebec and the Gaspe area are lovely and I think Mufti's times are about right. The advantage of camping is you can probably be flexible.

Fletchers Lake, NS
reviews: 17
4. Re: Possible to see Montreal, Quebec, Gaspesie, and Nova Scotia?

I think 3 weeks would be more than enough to see the sights. While coming from Quebec City you might want to add in Prince Edward Island to the mix and spend a couple of days there.

As for time line, I wouldn't spend more than 2 day in either Montreal or QC, but that is just my opinion of any large city.

Halifax, Canada
reviews: 30
5. Re: Possible to see Montreal, Quebec, Gaspesie, and Nova Scotia?

I would also say a side trip to Prince edward Island (PEI as the locals say) is a good idea. One of the most beautiful parts of Canada imo.

Manitoba
reviews: 34
6. Re: Possible to see Montreal, Quebec, Gaspesie, and Nova Scotia?

I agree, a side trip to PEI would be a great idea, and not too far out of the way. Definitely lots to see and do there. You could drive the bridge across from New Brunswick to PEI then take the ferry from PEI to Pictou area of Nova Scotia to mix things up.

I've driven straight from Halifax to Montreal with no stopping a few times. Takes about 12-14 hours with minimal breaks. There are some nice places to stop along the way though, and it would be a lot of fun to take your time and not drive it straight through.

Have a wonderful trip!

Gaithersburg...
reviews: 8
7. Re: Possible to see Montreal, Quebec, Gaspesie, and Nova Scotia?

Thank you for your helpful responses. As a result, we have decided to make our trip more focused, with less long drives, and will visit Quebec another year. In this way we'll be able to visit PEI, Nova Scotia, and along the Fundy Bay in New Brunswick at a slower pace and in greater depth. Having grown up in Texas, learning about the Atlantic Maritimes is brand new to us and we're excited about visiting there this summer.

Advocate Harbour...
reviews: 11
8. Re: Possible to see Montreal, Quebec, Gaspesie, and Nova Scotia?

For your Bay of Fundy experience don't miss out the spectacular area around Cape Chignecto in Nova Scotia. Not a heavily marketed area like some of the Fundy attractions in New Brunswick, you can explore sites at Cape Chignecto (hosted by the fishing village of Advocate Harbour) like the Three Sisters in a natural, peaceful way. You can see more about what the Bay of Fundy area offers at the recommended experiences website at www.bayoffundy.travel The website is unique in that most sites will be province specific while this one gives you ideas for places to see and stay in both New Brunswick and Nova Scotia.

9. Re: Possible to see Montreal, Quebec, Gaspesie, and Nova Scotia?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:29 am, April 19, 2013