We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Place to stay 3 hrs from ferry?

Vancouver
reviews: 1
Place to stay 3 hrs from ferry?

Heading to Nova Scotia at the end of August and looking for a nice small little town to stay in after driving roughly 3 hrs after getting off ferry from PEI. We are heading towards Cape Breton to do the Cabot Trail. I have an 11 year with me, so do not want too long of a day driving. Many have suggested Baddeck, but there doesn't seem to be many choices of great accomodation. What could be our next choice? Also would it make sense to take the Hwy. to Baddeck and then cross over to do the scenic drive towards Cheticamp and Pleasant Bay?

Thank you

Halifax
Destination Expert
for Halifax
reviews: 72
1. Re: Place to stay 3 hrs from ferry?

There is a Holiday Inn Express in Stellerton. They have a pool with a waterslide, and breakfast is included. I believe they have suites with bunk beds and you can get an x-box (I think it's x-box) and games from the front desk.

I've stayed there for many a hockey tournament.

Stellerton would only be about 45min away from the ferry in NS, and it on the highway, on the way to Cape Breton.

Maybe you want something closer to Cape Breton, but it's a great place for kids.

Nova Scotia
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
reviews: 81
2. Re: Place to stay 3 hrs from ferry?

Here is a map of the route many of us advise;

http://g.co/maps/nmb9t

There are not too many places to stay along here, but it is a lovely area.

I am surprised you could not find any accommodation to your liking in Baddeck. There are quite a few places there. What type of place are you looking for?

If you want a really nice upscale place along the route I have marked you could check here:

http://www.glenoradistillery.com/

I did not stay there, but did see the reception and dining areas and walked all around. It is lovely.

Here is another list of possible places to stay along the Ceilidh Trail (route 19)

novascotia.com/en/…

Vancouver
3. Re: Place to stay 3 hrs from ferry?

That sounds like a perfect place to stay, but unfortunately we would like to be able to get a little farther driving on that day. Maybe on the way back. We are just looking for a clean little motel that is not hugely overpriced. Should we be taking the highway or Scenic route? Is Ceilidh an area just before Cape Breton?

Thank you everyone

Nova Scotia
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
reviews: 81
4. Re: Place to stay 3 hrs from ferry?

The Ceilidh Trail is roughly the part of the route I showed you going up the west coast of Cape Breton to around Margaree Harbour where it joins the Cabot Trail.

From novascotia.com;

The Ceilidh Trail guides visitors from the Canso Causeway through the Margaree Valley to Margaree Harbour. Named for the traditional Gaelic gatherings of music and song, the Ceilidh Trail offers stunning vistas as it follows the shore of western Cape Breton along the Mabou Highlands, where coastal trails and sea cliffs overlook beautiful St. George’s Bay.

The route I showed you takes the highway 104 to Cape Breton. At Port Hastings follow the signs to the Ceilidh Trail or to such places as Port Hood, Mabou or Inverness.

Here it is zoomed in: http://g.co/maps/nkqpb

Vancouver
5. Re: Place to stay 3 hrs from ferry?

Thank you that sounds good actually. I was wondering how we could cut over to the scenic drive part to cabot trail from taking the hwy. earlier.

6. Re: Place to stay 3 hrs from ferry?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:15 am, June 22, 2013