We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel plans to Nova Scotia (and PE Island) during Fall

San Francisco...
reviews: 37
Travel plans to Nova Scotia (and PE Island) during Fall

I am planning a trip to Nova Scotia either during last week of Sep or 1st week of Oct. I surely would love to see the Fall colors and explore scenic Nova Scotia. I will be having around 7 - 8 days (maybe 10, if I can stretch a bit); so, I am thinking of visiting Cape Breton (incl. Cabot trail) for 3 days, spend around ~2 days in and around Halifax (incl. Peggy's Cove). Other than the above, I will have another 2 -3 days and I am debating between the two possibilities: i) spend the time near Anapolis Royal, Digby, Yarmouth and Bay of Fundy area (I think, I will be taking the ferry from St John to Digby) or ii) spend 2 - 3 days in PE island. Any suggestions on choosing between Bay of Fundy and PE island? Also, any specific attraction/event I should try out in Nova Scotia during late Sep/early Oct? Any input on probable itinerary and places to see should help me plan my trip.

Thanks very much!

New Minas, Canada
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
reviews: 13
1. Re: Travel plans to Nova Scotia (and PE Island) during Fall

If you haven't already, check www.novascotia.com You can also order the free tour guide "Doers & Dreamers" which is a great help on your travels.

The time of year that you are visiting, I believe you would have more to see in the Annapolis Valley, Bay of Fundy area than PEI.

www.wolfville.ca

www.attractionsannapolis.com

www.bayoffundytourism.com

Edited: 8:57 am, August 23, 2013
Halifax
2. Re: Travel plans to Nova Scotia (and PE Island) during Fall

Great, See you got your own! I would suggest coming if you can in early October more likely to see the colours.

I agree with above I'd leave PEI for another time, a lot closes there after Labour Day.

Cape Breton to really see you need at least 3 days, I would then advise if you like scenery taking Marine Drive #7 highway back along the shore to Halifax then either stay in and around or head down to Mahone Bay/ Lunenburg area only an hour from Halifax and explore there then cross over to Windsor spending some time in and around the Wolfville area at least one night then down to Annapolis Royal, not sure ferry time from Digby but if you have to overnight I would advise Annapolis over Digby.

Are you interested in places to stat eat, hike, whale watch let us know.

San Francisco...
3. Re: Travel plans to Nova Scotia (and PE Island) during Fall

I primarily like nature, hiking, taking long scenic drives. As far as accommodation, I would prefer a place a bit outside the city life. Is there much scope of wildlife viewing during early Oct?

As you pointed out in another thread, the hotels/B&B's in Cape Breton area is getting filled up quickly for the Celtic festival. If there are are any suggestions on places to stay (especially in Cape Breton/Cabot Trail area + other places in Nova Scotia), I would surely like to hear more on that. I am exploring some choices through AirBnB at this point. I have heard that Bay of Fundy is known for lobsters; that will be something on my priority list!

Will keep you folks posted as I plan my trip. Thanks everyone for the informative replies!

New Minas, Canada
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
4. Re: Travel plans to Nova Scotia (and PE Island) during Fall

Halls Harbour is a short drive from the Wolfville . It's on the Bay of Fundy & you can enjoy a lobster dinner while watching the tide difference.

www.hallsharbourlobster.com

Halifax
5. Re: Travel plans to Nova Scotia (and PE Island) during Fall

The Trip Advisor ratings and reviews for any places you think are interesting are usually quite accurate.

In CB I would spend a night in Baddeck visit the Bell Museum and Uisge bahn falls. The Herring Choker Deli nr Baddeck great food also great picnic sandwiches, baked treats etc.

www.visitbaddeck.com/adventure/bahn.html

Have you decided if you are going clockwise or counter clock round the trail, I like counter live on the edge also can pull over quickly without crossing traffic for views . Ingonish has Keltic Lodge popular with some, Dingwall there is the Marklands which is great, also good food.

Some like Cheticamp I prefer Margaree at Normaway inn food is good.

Popular restaurants are Rusty Anchor in Pleasant Bay, Coastal in Ingonish, Dancing Goat in Margaree and Inverness, Must go Red Shoe Pub in Mabou should spend a night near here so you can go in the evening.

There are also quite a few B&B in the area.

On the novascotia.com website there is B&B list.

Lunenburg lots of great inns and B&B's good food from Knot Pub to Fleur de Sel.

Wolfville another great spot for inns and B&B's Blomidon Inn has great reviews , visitors from Alaska had stayed Trout Point, Addington, Chanterelle etc and Blomidon was a highlight from service to food

Annaplos Royal also has some wonderful Inns.and restaurants.

Advocate Harbour...
reviews: 11
6. Re: Travel plans to Nova Scotia (and PE Island) during Fall

For you nature, hiking and wildlife the upper Bay of Fundy in the Chignecto area (Advocate Harbour) would be of interest. With some of the best wilderness hikes in eastern Canada, it is very unique place. You can experience tidal phenomenon such as the large tidal harbour that goes completely dry at low tide, raising the fishing boats to the top of the wharf at high, the Dory Rips at Cape d'Or, and the tidal carved cliffs with geological features such as the legendary Three Sisters. Definitely off the beaten path, you will discover a area of astounding natural beauty that still runs with the timing of the big tides - although the tidal roads can be a real eye opener.

This might be of interest for a route, with suggestions for things to do.

Link to novascotia.com travel itinerary

novascotia.com/en/…winewhiskeyandwhales

San Francisco...
7. Re: Travel plans to Nova Scotia (and PE Island) during Fall

Thanks everyone for such detailed information! Based on the suggestion/s, I think I might skip PE Island and just concentrate on Nova Scotia. From the list of things to do, I feel 8 days is not enough for just Nova Scotia alone. For the Cabot trail, I will probably go counter-clockwise and stay at Baddeck and maybe somewhere in the middle/south part of the trail (like Cheticamp, Inverness, etc). Will it be woth spending some time in Sydney, especially considering it is so near. Maybe, I can stay in Wolfville while exploring the Bay of Fundy area as it doesn't seem too far. Looking forward to my first trip to Nova Scotia!

Halifax
8. Re: Travel plans to Nova Scotia (and PE Island) during Fall

I would skip Sydney unless there is something specific you wanted to go, Loiusibourg will be almost closed by then so not realy worth traveling out in my opnion. - with your time so short i would skip.

You may enjoy Puffin Boat tour excellent reviews and wonderful views from water.

http://www.puffinboattours.ca/

New Minas, Canada
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
9. Re: Travel plans to Nova Scotia (and PE Island) during Fall

The Cape Split trail which starts at Scots Bay on the Bay of Fundy is a very popular hiking trail. We usually allowed aprox 5 hrs for it, 2 hrs each way & then time for photo taking & a picnic. Just make sure that you leave early enough to be back out before dark.

If you goggle "Cape Split " or search here on Trip Advisor, you will find some several pictures posted.

10. Re: Travel plans to Nova Scotia (and PE Island) during Fall

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:43 am, August 25, 2013