We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

best place for fall colors October 1-12

Portland, Oregon
best place for fall colors October 1-12

We will fly into Halifax October 1 and fly out October 12. Would we be more likely to find fall color in Nova Scotia or in New Brunswick? Thinking of Miramichi--maybe Caraquet? We plan to spend some part of the time on Cape Breton Island for a couple of the Celtic Colors music events.

The whole trip grew out a decision to try to catch the foliage colors somewhere perhaps less crowded than New England seems to be. We are now excited about the Maritimes--new places for us both. Semi-retired couple, non experienced travelers, on a modest budget we will gratefully listen to whatever advice those better versed may offer.

Halifax
1. Re: best place for fall colors October 1-12

Obviously the fall colours depend to a large dergree on the weather, this summer has been warmer than usual and this trend is forecasted for Fall as well. That being said the highlands of CB should be an excellent spot.

You mention the Celtic Colours I assume you have your tickets what about accomodation.??

Are you planning to come to Halifax to tour around?, if so a trip to Peggy's Cove, Lunenburg including Mahone Bay and Chester would be great idea also trip to Grande Pre, Wolfville area perhaps visit some of our award winning wineries- let us know your interests and we can give you more specific info.

Re NB- I assume you are driving. St Andrews and St Martin caves would be great spots to stop and tour around.

Advocate, Joggins, Parrsboro area when you first cross into NS are another wonderful area to stop and visit

Edited: 6:55 am, September 09, 2012
Halifax
2. Re: best place for fall colors October 1-12

Please check the other thread just below "What to do in November" there are suggestions and routing that would be applicable to your trip. that you may be interested in

tripadvisor.ca/ShowTopic-g154967-i326-k57403…

Here's another with alot of info

tripadvisor.ca/ShowTopic-g154967-i326-k57059…

Hope that helps and you have great trip.

Edited: 7:11 am, September 09, 2012
Nova Scotia
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
reviews: 75
3. Re: best place for fall colors October 1-12

Celtic Colours is named such because it is held at a time and place where the fall colours are usually wonderful.

Another good area in Nova Scotia to see the colours is in the Wentworth Valley. If you want to explore the Parrsboro/Advocate Harbour area you could take an extended drive and get a good peek.

http://goo.gl/maps/QQcrg

The leaves should be colourful while you are here, but there are no guarantees. The different varieties turn at varying times as well.

Manitoba
reviews: 34
4. Re: best place for fall colors October 1-12

October is a great time to visit the Annapolis Valley, specifically the Wolfville area. Wolfville is a quaint cute university town about 1 hour from Halifax. This is a beautiful farming area filled with farm markets, lots of wineries, great views, lots of trees, great hiking, some great restaurants and B&Bs, and the Bay of Fundy with nice water views. I am from this area originally and love October in the valley so much I chose to have my wedding here in October 2009 at a local blueberry farm with a restaurant on site. Most of my wedding photos were taken on a country, dirt, tree lined road with farmers fields surrounding. The photos turned out beautiful, however it can be difficult to predict when the leaves will be in full color as it does change from year to year based on weather. Sometimes it happens early, sometimes late.

I also recommend Cape Breton in October and agree that the Wentworth Valley is beautiful during the fall. You could drive through the Wentworth Valley on your way to Cape Breton.

Have a wonderful trip and do come back and tell us all about it!

Nova Scotia
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
5. Re: best place for fall colors October 1-12

The Wentworth Valley is on the way to Cape Breton only when driving from Amherst.

Manitoba
reviews: 34
6. Re: best place for fall colors October 1-12

Maryann is correct, I should have been more clear. Whenever we drive from Halifax to the Pictou area (which is basically en route to Cape Breton) we often drive the regular highway up which is the quickest and most direct, then on the way back we drive what we refer to as the "long scenic way" (which is out of the way and longer and and not direct but worth it for the scenery). For instance on the way back instead of the main highway from the Pictou area to Halifax we would detour to Tatamagouche (I love this little community!) and then through the Wentworth Valley (beautiful views!), then stop at the Masstown Market (so great!) and eventually picking up the regular highway again near Truro and drive the regular highway the rest of the way to Halifax. This route provides pretty views and more photo ops in my opinion but the trade off is time as it takes longer and not driving on the main highway. Worth it if you have time to spare and enjoy driving through little communities and don't mind the detour off the regular highway path. There is a great place to stay up that way in Malagash called Cambra Sands http://cambrasands.com/ - beautiful cottages right on the ocean if you decided to detour through this area and wanted to spend a night. I've stayed there and fully recommend it. Another option could be The Train Station Inn http://www.trainstation.ca/ in Tatamagouche. I checked this out recently and the food was fantastic (try the seafood chowder and fish cakes!) and the rooms looked so cute and unique - they converted train cars into a hotel and restaurant. Very neat place. I have also stayed at Caribou Island Cottage cottagesincanada.com/caribouislandcottage/ and really enjoyed it if you went what I refer to as the "long scenic route" and wanted to make it a stopover night.

Nova Scotia
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
7. Re: best place for fall colors October 1-12

Here is the map for the above. The drive from Tatamagouche to the Wentworth Valley that way would have lots of wonderful trees.

http://goo.gl/maps/Gw8LI

Portland, Oregon
8. Re: best place for fall colors October 1-12

Thank you all for such helpful posts. We have been mulling over all you have said and pretty much decided to just stick to Nova Scotia and trust we will find enough fall to say we saw it. The links and maps were very helpful, maryann-ns and Lulu C. And graywolfpack, I think we are headed for the chowder and fishcakes!

Our schedule, tentatively:

Oct 1: arrive Halifax airport about 8:30 PM. Collect rental car and

bags. Make it to some bed by 11:00 or so. Any suggestions for that night?

Oct 2-3-4: no reservations. Would like to do Parrsboro/Advocate Harbour and Bay of Fundy Park, and ?? This would be the time to see Wentworth Valley/Tatamagouche and keep our date with the fishcakes.

Details anyone?

Oct 5: By nightfall be in Whycocomagh area Cape Breton. reservations for Oct 5 and Oct 6. Celtic Colors events?

Oct 7 and 8: no reservations. Somewhere on the western side of CB on the Cabot Trail. Drive and see. Celtic Colors events?

Oct 9: Leave Cape Breton for either Lunenberg or Wolfville, if not too far to travel that day. No reservation.

Oct 10-11: Lunenberg, Annapolis Royal, Wolfville loop by way of Route 8 past Kijimkujik Park. Must stay on the night of Oct 11 near enough to make it to the airport for a 3:00 PM departure on Oct 12.

As you can see, we are thinking in terms of three areas or loops. Cape Breton segment has to be in the middle, unfortunately. The Bay of Fundy/Wentworth Valley segment and the southern loop could be reversed, We are thinking the southern loop has lowest priority, but hate to give it up.

graywolfpack, since you have lived there, do you have any thoughts on

how to do the Wolfville/Annapolis stretch?

I am thinking we will want to make reservations for the arrival and departure nights at least. Given the info above does anyone have suggestions on where to stay on those two nights?

Nova Scotia
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
9. Re: best place for fall colors October 1-12

I hear the Inn on the Lake in Fall river very close to the airport is lovely. It is a few miles in the wrong direction if you are heading towards Parrsboro but you would not want to drive too far that night. Staying in Truro would be another possibility. There are lots of places there.

You should make your reservations for Advocate Harbour if you wish to stay there. However, there are quite a few B&Bs in Parrsboro and they are not likely to be full in October.

Oct. 7 you could stay in Cheticamp or area and because it is Celtic Colours time you should book now. For the next night perhaps you could stay in the Ingonish area or Baddeck, depending upon how much time you want to take and where you can get a reservation.

You should be OK without reservations for the Lunenburg/Wolfville/Annapolis Royal areas. I just came back from a trip to the valley. We stayed in Windsor in a lovely B&B, Phoenix Hollow. Windsor is only an hour from the airport and Wolfville is not much further.

Halifax
10. Re: best place for fall colors October 1-12

That seems like a good outline. Angie's post here gives good suggestions for Advocate area

tripadvisor.ca/Travel-g154967-c157554/Nova-S…

Re Wolfville/ Lunenburg one could miss Annapolis if you are short on time,

then you'll have some for next time!!! if you are really keen to go- stay on the 101 after touring around Wolfville less than 2 hours to Annapolis it is then a good hour across to Liverpool//Keji area.

I would suggest driving from CB to Wolfville or Windsor area. The 101 is twinned from Bedford where you would pick it up making it alot easier than 103 after long days drive.

On the South Shore Lunenburg, Mahone Bay or Chester are not much more than hour from Halifax so lots of time for 11th to Airport., you could visit Peggy's Cove on your way in