We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Camping in Cape Breton Island

Tenafly, New Jersey
Camping in Cape Breton Island

My wife and I are planning a 2 week trip to NS and PEI and are looking to spend 3-4 days in cape Breton. We're thinking of camping in or about Baddeck. Any recommendations for a good campground for tent camping? Bras d'or lakes campground looks like it may be too huge and overrun with RVs but I can't be sure.

Advocate Harbour...
reviews: 11
1. Re: Camping in Cape Breton Island

Close to Baddeck I would stay at Whycocomagh Provincial Park. Especially for tenting, the provincial parks are much better than private parks. Its 35km from Baddeck www.novascotiaparks.ca

Tenafly, New Jersey
2. Re: Camping in Cape Breton Island

Thanks. We are thinking Baddeck area as it's pretty central to Cape Breton Island. If you can think of any other places around there, let me know.

Tenafly, New Jersey
3. Re: Camping in Cape Breton Island

Alas, looking at the reservation system it appears that Whycocomagh is booked up to July 15th. We'd be looking at July 9 - 11th or 12th.

Advocate Harbour...
4. Re: Camping in Cape Breton Island

Yes, the best places do book up early. There might be cancellations later.

There are other places near Baddeck, but they do cater to RV's and dont have the privacy tenters usually lke. Lots of services though. Check out www.baddeckcabottrailcampground.com or www.brasdorlakescampground.com and Adventures East Campgound at 1-800-507-2228

One option that you might like as it has some more private wooded sites but no luxuries like flush toilets or showers but right beside the very pretty Uisge Ban Waterfalls are the Uisge Ban Falls Campground. No website phone 396-4574 rmacphee@seasidehighspeed.com

Tenafly, New Jersey
5. Re: Camping in Cape Breton Island

I called Whycocomagh and they don't open until July 15th. So I'll be looking at one of the other places I suppose. We do want flush toilets and showers -- preferably free showers.

Thanks.

Advocate Harbour...
6. Re: Camping in Cape Breton Island

Wow, yes, not opening until July 15th instead of their advertised June 18th - apparently doing a major upgrade with electrical hookups. Good info for anyone planning in camping in the area as it will take away around 60 campsites normally available.

Edited: 10:33 am, May 17, 2011
Cape Breton Island...
Destination Expert
for Cape Breton Island
reviews: 33
7. Re: Camping in Cape Breton Island

2 weeks; i'd spend a week on the west side on the ocean, even in the Highlands Park , rather than just all the time in Baddeck . There are no moose or whale sightings at your campground in Baddeck

Nova Scotia
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
reviews: 75
8. Re: Camping in Cape Breton Island

I agree that you should look at the west coast. This is where the scenery is best.

Cape Breton Island...
reviews: 1
9. Re: Camping in Cape Breton Island

Inverness Beach Village would be a great choice. we are all booked for the cabins there in august and I cant wait. R.V's, cabins and tenting there. Google www.macleods.com

10. Re: Camping in Cape Breton Island

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:18 am, May 24, 2012