We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from Newfoundland to New York City

Halifax
Driving from Newfoundland to New York City

Hi everyone,

My wife and I are traveling from New Zealand. We are currently living in Halifax short term. Once we are done here we are wanting to drive up to Newfoundland (to do Gros Morne National Park) then make our way down to Boston and NYC and everything in between then back to Halifax (hope that made sense). We are thinking 14 days. Is that a sufficient amount of time or will we be hard pressed to do it all?

Thanks

Jeremy

Advocate Harbour...
reviews: 11
1. Re: Driving from Newfoundland to New York City

Hi Jeremy, do you mean 14 days after you leave Gros Morne and get back to Nova Scotia?

As residents of NZ, with its grand vistas and picturesque natural beauty, and your trek to Gros Morne for more of that - I assume that's something you search for in your travels.

If so, on your way to the US, swing over the loop of the upper Bay of Fundy to witness one of the natural wonders of the world in the highest tides on earth at the upper Bay of Fundy. A great place to witness this is the Advocate Harbour area. Here you can hear the 'voice of the moon' while witnessing the dory rips at Cape d'Or and experience the vertical effect of the tides at the tidal harbour of Advocate. Fantastic hikes and kayaking also in this area. check out www.bayoffundytourism.com at "things to do" and scroll down to the Advocate Harbour region. Its a unique place to discover of towering escarpments, sea caves, arches and sea stacks with miles of driftwood strewn beaches and authentic fishing villages.

Halifax
2. Re: Driving from Newfoundland to New York City

Hi Kayakdover

No, I was talking about the time we left Halifax to the time we get back. 14 days in total. Think it may be a bit ambitious, not too sure???

We have heard a lot of good things about the Bay of Fundy. We are hoping to get there in the near future and do it as a separate trip from the Newfoundland/USA one. I will take on your advice and search that website. Thanks.

Halifax
Destination Expert
for Halifax
reviews: 72
3. Re: Driving from Newfoundland to New York City

Halifax to Gros Morne will take a full day to get there. It's about 5 hours drive to the ferry, another 6-8 on the ferry and another 3-4 off the ferry in Newfoundland to get there. If you spend 2 days there, and head back, you can do Newfoundland in 4-5 days. I think straight driving from Halifax to Boston is about 11 hours of straight driving (according to google maps), and Boston to New York is about 4 hours (again according to google maps).

I think you can do it in 14 days, but you are going to spend a LOT of time in your car.

You can take the ferry to Newfoundland at night, and rent a cabin. That will save you some time, but you should make your ferry reservations ahead of time. Also, if you don't know, you need to be careful of the moose while you drive in Newfoundland. Espicially dusk and dawn. Corner Brook is about 1.5 hours away from Gros Morne, its a town about the size of Truro, and it's on the way to and from the ferry.

If I could make a recommendation? Go to New York and Boston and all points in between, and save Newfoundland for the last leg of your trip. If you get back to Nova Scotia, and have the stamina to continue, then keep on going for the ferry.... but if you decide you've had enough, you can go home, and maybe do Newfoundland on an (extra) long weekend?

And living in Halifax, you can visit Advocate Harbour any time on a day trip. No need to take time out of your 14 days just for that.

Ottawa, Canada
reviews: 50
4. Re: Driving from Newfoundland to New York City

Hi JemAnnaNZ,

Gotta say I agree with CGRENO... it's like you actually have two seperate trips in mind here... NFLD deserves a week to 10 days on its own (remember once ya pay to cross on that ferry, ya might as well see the whole thing)... LOL

Plus the scenery and "the people" are what make NFLD so special... ya don't want to rush "the rock".

The East Coast - Halifax to NYCity could easily take another week if you want to stop along the way (don't forget Cape Cod).

As for the remainder of Nova Scotia, as already pointed out, that can certainly be done as day trips and weekend adventures.

Cheers!

Wine-4-2

Cape Breton Island...
Destination Expert
for Cape Breton Island
reviews: 37
5. Re: Driving from Newfoundland to New York City

I suggest you do plan two trips and do teh Newfoundland one first.

When you do newfoundland, depending on your ferry timing, you can easily add in the Cabot Trail on the way but certainly on the way back.

Newfoundland is best when you can do Gros Morne but that park really has three prongs to it, one is North, then another is to Trout River and another is to Woody Point .

On the way to or from Gros Morne, you need to get to some of the outer edge villages as they are all so different, like the Route 403 & 404 for Robinson's , or 406 or 470 for Margaree and Fox Roost at least.

Cottages and B&B's in Newfoundland and on Cape Breton are the best.

Try to buy the map book Atlantic Canada Back Road Atlas.

And yes, even though a cabin on the ferry is few extra bucks, it gives you a great evening . If you can be flexible, try to get on their new ferry, the Atlantic Vision.

You may be so happy you'll skip NYC !!!

Cape Breton Island...
Destination Expert
for Cape Breton Island
6. Re: Driving from Newfoundland to New York City

Now, Boston and NYC. If you really want those, then suggest you leave Halifax, head for Digby, ferry over to Saint John, and then Route 1 or Route 9 in the US to Bangor , then Interstate to Boston and NYC, leaving yourself some time on the way back to zip out to the Coast again, or even consider the ferry from either Bar Harbour or Portland back to Yarmouth.

If you give yourself 7 days for the Newfoundland trip and 7 for the NYC then that's not too bad, but to leave newfoundland and then to be heading to NYC all in the same trip. Yikes

Halifax
Destination Expert
for Halifax
reviews: 72
7. Re: Driving from Newfoundland to New York City

I don't know about forgetting NYC, it's a pretty fun place... but the way the flights are now, it won't cost that much for the two of you to fly vs. drive there. Plus parking in NYC is a nightmare. I bet if you price it out, it would clost the same to fly to NY than to Deer Lake, Newfoundland!

Cape Breton Island...
Destination Expert
for Cape Breton Island
8. Re: Driving from Newfoundland to New York City

AT least two USA airline have shuttle flights to Halifax daily , and likely seats are to be had if you book early. i

Halifax, NS Canada
reviews: 88
9. Re: Driving from Newfoundland to New York City

I am with cgreno here. If you can break up this trip into two segments (Boston - NYC trip and Newfoundland trip) that would really be ideal. It's not impossible, but it's a lot to take on.

Halifax
10. Re: Driving from Newfoundland to New York City

Thanks everyone for your thoughts and ideas. We have a lot clearer understanding of the whole thing now.

So here's what I'm thinking: Forget about NYC and Boston for the meantime, another trip as most of you suggested. Spend 14 days doing Cape Breton and Newfoundland.

Spend a couple days (2 nights) doing the Cabot Trail then catch the overnight ferry to Argentia (what's this like? Do you reccommend us getting a bed to crash on?). Head to St Johns for a couple nights to check out George St then make our way to Gros Morne and spend 7 nights there. We are wanting to walk the Long Range Traverse. Is it possble to do this in two nights three days? Whats the kayaking and biking like in the park? Or is there somewhere better nearby? After this head back down to catch the ferry from Port aux Brasques, probably over night again to save on time (is it possible to throw down a bed roll and sleeping bag on the floor or do they not like that?). We are thinking our last night will be at Loiusbourg then head back home to Halifax?

What does everyone think? Are we missing anything out?

Thanks