We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Northern Lights in Yellowknife (March 2014)

Which Yellowknife hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Houston, Texas
reviews: 67
Northern Lights in Yellowknife (March 2014)

Hello all! I am planning on taking a trip in March to see the Aurora. I have some questions about cloths, car, and the Aurora. I visited Yellowknife in early Sept and viewed the lights but I have never been in this cold of weather.

I have read about some things to wear but how big of a jacket will I need? In south Texas, a wind breaker is about all we need! lol

Is March a good time to see the Aurora? Im hoping that it is not to late to see them then. What will the temps avg be around this time?

Will there still be ice fishing or anything to do during the day?

Im sure I will be able to think of more later! Thank You for your help!

17 replies to this topic
Edmonton, Canada
Destination Expert
for Edmonton, Yellowknife
reviews: 31
11. Re: Northern Lights in Yellowknife (March 2014)

Hi Mark,

Are you flying to Yellowknife? If so, I assume that you might be flying direct from Houston to Edmonton, then to YK. If so, if your plans are flexible, best to stop here in Edmonton for the day and do your shopping here.

Houston, Texas
12. Re: Northern Lights in Yellowknife (March 2014)

Suzanne I will be flying to Edmonton then to YK. Thanks for the input on shopping. Im guessing that prices are better in Edmonton?

Edmonton, Canada
Destination Expert
for Edmonton, Yellowknife
reviews: 31
13. Re: Northern Lights in Yellowknife (March 2014)

they are, and with spring around the corner prices will drop too.

Houston, Texas
14. Re: Northern Lights in Yellowknife (March 2014)

Thank You very much!

Esperance, Australia
reviews: 3
15. Re: Northern Lights in Yellowknife (March 2014)

This is the best reply ever! Thank you! Planned my whole trip just from your links!!

Monroe, New York
reviews: 92
16. Re: Northern Lights in Yellowknife (March 2014)

We just returned from Yellowknife on March 3rd. Layers layers layers. We both used under armour, then sweaters and pants and ski pants on top along with a 700-800 count down coat. Full ski face mask was a must. No exposed skin. Heavy gloves and we invested in Baffin boots which were extremely warm. The Aurora Village had an entire clothing rental program which many tourist used and were happy with. If I was to go again I probably would not have rented a car and just taken taxis since they seem readily available and constantly plugging in the engine block warmer or leaving the car running was a pain . I also used the Therma care warming pads for your back and they kept me nice and warm under the clothing. Hope it helps

Houston, Texas
17. Re: Northern Lights in Yellowknife (March 2014)

Thank you for your help!

Reply to: Northern Lights in Yellowknife (March 2014)
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted