We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Do you need SUV to drive to Dettah Ice Road ?

Which Yellowknife hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Atlantic City, New...
reviews: 23
Do you need SUV to drive to Dettah Ice Road ?

We are planning to rent a car. Just wonder if you need SUV to drive to Dettah Ice Road. Do most of the airport rental cars equipped with snow tires? Is it a long drive to Aurora village?

Edmonton, Canada
Destination Expert
for Edmonton, Yellowknife
reviews: 33
1. Re: Do you need SUV to drive to Dettah Ice Road ?

Usually there is no need to use an SUV. And I'm not sure if the rental cars are equipped with snow tires, but all seasons would be fine as long as you take it easy. I haven't been home in a long time and Aurora Village wasn't around when i was there. Their website says it's 30 minutes from downtown YK. I doubt it's a long drive. Just let your hotel, or BB owner know where you are going and when to expect you back and you should be fine.

My friend and i used to do 360's on the iceroad in an old car back in the day, lol. It all depends on what makes you feel safe. If you feel safer in an SUV, then that might be the way to go, but if you prefer to drive a car, that's ok too.

Atlantic City, New...
reviews: 23
2. Re: Do you need SUV to drive to Dettah Ice Road ?

thanks for your reply. How far is Dettah ice Road from downtown Yellowknife? Is there a sign that tell you where to go from downtown yellowknife? I was told it is a good place to watch sunset there.

Edmonton, Canada
Destination Expert
for Edmonton, Yellowknife
reviews: 33
3. Re: Do you need SUV to drive to Dettah Ice Road ?

Pretty much everything is within a 30 minute drive. When I lived there, it was by a boat launch by Arctic Divers. I'm not sure if it's in the same spot. I've seen it changed up every now and then, anywhere in old town is just a 10 minute drive from downtown. There should be a sign.

Yellowknife, Canada
reviews: 9
4. Re: Do you need SUV to drive to Dettah Ice Road ?

Drove it last week... drives just like a regular road... but remember speeding fines are VERY high... BTW the ice road starts in Yellowknife off School Draw Road... Here are my photos of the ice road

flickr.com/photos/…

5. Re: Do you need SUV to drive to Dettah Ice Road ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:16 am, March 11, 2014