We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

nice dinner not WAY over priced

Which St. John's hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Halifax, Canada
reviews: 12
nice dinner not WAY over priced

leaving tomorrow for St John's,, will be spending 3 days in the area and then off to Bonivista.. would like to go out for a decent supper while there, any suggestions of somewhere that has a nice atmosphere, good food but one we dont have to take a bank loan out for....We are basically open to all types of food.

thanks all

St. John's, Canada
Destination Expert
for Newfoundland and Labrador
reviews: 31
1. Re: nice dinner not WAY over priced

What price range? You will find restaurants in St. John's (and NL for that matter) more expensive than most cities.

Placentia, Canada
reviews: 17
2. Re: nice dinner not WAY over priced

good grub....bridie malloys for spot on times(the restaurant is the Celtic Hearth) a must go

Halifax, Canada
3. Re: nice dinner not WAY over priced

price range for 2 around $60-$70.. hopefully a bit less, but realize even this amount is not really that expensive

Toronto, Canada
reviews: 438
4. Re: nice dinner not WAY over priced

While in Bonavista I ate here, very solid! Very reasonably priced too!

Baie-Vista Restaurant

Main St, Bonavista, Newfoundland and Labrador A0C 1B0, Canada

In St. John's there's Ches' Fish and chips, it's decent with a homey feel...

A little pricier, but worth it, is India Gate, it's some of the best Indian food I've ever had....

Halifax, Canada
5. Re: nice dinner not WAY over priced

thanks tdsuperstar

May have to stop for fish and chips at Ches's...have heard it is well worth the visit...

St. John's, Canada
Destination Expert
for Newfoundland and Labrador
6. Re: nice dinner not WAY over priced

One place we have been eating at a lot lately is chinched Bistro on Queen Street. (Intersection of Queen and George). The food is smart and definitely not typical.

Usually $90 or so for two without booze.

St. John's, Canada
reviews: 7
7. Re: nice dinner not WAY over priced

Chafe's Landing in Petty Harbour has great fish and chips as well as other seafood items. In Bonavista, Skippers Restaurant in the Harbour Quarter Inn could meet your requirements for a "nice" meal. The view of Bonavista harbour is excellent and the prices not too bad.

oakville, ON
Destination Expert
for Oakville
reviews: 33
8. Re: nice dinner not WAY over priced

Duke of Duckworth... They beat Ches' hands down. And while I agree India Gate is good, why come to NF for Indian?? Velma's is a great little spot... Trational Newfoundland food... Cod tongues with scruncions, fish and brewis, amazing home,are soups and fantastic home made bread... Mmmmmm

Alberta
9. Re: nice dinner not WAY over priced

The best advice I can give you is to stay away from St. John's if you want great food that is not overpriced. Some suggestions:

Java Jack's in Rocky Harbour

Twine Loft in Trinity

Georgie's at Anchor Inn Hotel in Twillingate

Best three restaurants we ate at in Newfoundland, and among the best we have eaten at anywhere.

Edited: 8:23 pm, September 06, 2012
Toronto, Canada
reviews: 438
10. Re: nice dinner not WAY over priced

I found Velma's to be pricey for what you received, I was unimpressed with the service also.....why come to NFLD for Indian?? You don't, but if your in St. John's, why not experience some of the best Indian food I have found anywhere, let alone St. John's....