We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to do in St John's?

Which St. John's hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Alberta
reviews: 42
What to do in St John's?

Hello everyone!!

I am coming to St John's next summer and will be staying for 3 nights. What are some of the things I should do?? ALso I am staying at the Super 8 Motel which is brand new and looks very nice...is that a good choice??

Thanks, BTD

mount pearl...
1. Re: What to do in St John's?

it is brand new...and therefore clean and comfortable...but it is a little bit out of the way from local attractions. If you have a car rental, then this shouldn't be a problem. If you rely on local buses, then check out the routes and where they will take you.Their website address is:www.metrobus.com

cheers

iceguy

Alberta
2. Re: What to do in St John's?

Thanks Rokk!

I will have my own car so that should not be a problem to drive!!

Thanks!

Alberta
3. Re: What to do in St John's?

Does Anyone else have suggestions??

Newfoundland
4. Re: What to do in St John's?

I have a coffee house located just a short distance from St. John's. Beautiful drive.

View it at www.irishloopcoffeehouse.com

Alberta
5. Re: What to do in St John's?

Great Thanks Evvy!!

I will be sure to stop in!!

Victoria, Canada
reviews: 6
6. Re: What to do in St John's?

A visit to Cape Spear is a must. The Geo Centre on Signal Hill is very interesting. When I was there last summer they had a fascinating exhibit on the Titanic disaster. The new museum, The Rooms, has the most fantastic view of the city- as good as Signal Hill but from a completely different perspective. Try to get to Cape St. Mary's, the bird colony there is breathtaking. Have fun- I did!

mount pearl...
7. Re: What to do in St John's?

Also, if you are the adventurous pub crawler type, a visit to George Street would be an interesting evening until the wee hours...don't forget to be Screeched-in at Trapper John's.

Mount Pearl...
reviews: 20
8. Re: What to do in St John's?

To be screeched in, you have to be sponsored by a true Newfoundlander so make a couple friends first (it won't be hard!) and they'll likely take you up to Trapper John's to be screeched in (to make you an honourary Newfoundlander!)

Also, I'd do one of the whale/puffin boat tours. I've been on Gatherall's and they're quite good. They have a catamaran so it travels faster than the competition's boats thus increasing your chances of seeing many and doesn't rock around as much for those who get sea sick. We saw many whales, dolphins, puffins and turrs when we went, and even an eagle! Well worth the money and a short drive south of St. John's on the Irish Loop (a spectacular drive BTW when you have more time to drive the whole thing) in Bay Bulls.

In town itself like others have mentioned is the Geocentre and the Rooms, Cape Spear and Signal Hill is definitely obligatory. Other places you may be interested in is the relatively newly opened Newfoundland Railway Museum, the harbourfront where you could take a boat tour on the Scademia, or perhaps a dinner cruise on a paddle boat. Check out the Basilica, a beautiful Catholic church which has long been part of St. John's characteristic skyline dating back to the 1850's. Also, the Battery and Quidi Vidi are both parts of St. John's that you should take time to visit and explore. Splurge a little bit and visit one of St. John's fine restaurants like Aqua, Blue on Water or The Cellar.

Super 8 is brand new so you shouldn't have any problems. They have a big waterslide, too! It's close to the airport, but not a far drive from downtown (about 10 minutes or less depending on traffic).

Alberta
9. Re: What to do in St John's?

Thanks everyone!

I can't wait to see St John's as well as all of Newfoundland for that matter!

Newfoundlanders are so friendly, I really can't wait to come!!

BTD

Newfoundland, Canada
reviews: 3
10. Re: What to do in St John's?

Another must (in my opinion) if you have time is to visit Topsail Beach and watch the sunset.

On a nice night there are lots of campfires, sing-alongs and friendly people around too.

If you visit at the right time (end of June-early July) the caplin may be rolling as well. It's hard to predict when they will be around...but these little fish are easy to catch (they roll right onto the beach) and are quite tasty when cooked fresh on the beach. Very fun for children trying to catch them as well...just don't wander too far out in the water.

Enjoy your trip

Get answers to your questions about St. John's