We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

St. Johns Newfoundland for a half day

Which St. John's hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Wichita KS
reviews: 9
St. Johns Newfoundland for a half day

We are coming in on a cruise ship in earlry September for 8 hours - what are the must things to do?

Placentia, Canada
reviews: 17
1. Re: St. Johns Newfoundland for a half day

8 hours....hmmm...not much time to see the sights.You are sort of restricted to what you can do in such a short time.....

some hints

signal hill

fort amherst

quiddi viddi

cape spear

petty harbour

Provoiding that you snag a taxi you can easily visit these places in a day.....

hope you has a grand time!!

Wichita KS
2. Re: St. Johns Newfoundland for a half day

Thank you. I just connected with Ann's Taxi and Tours and she seems to be able to accomodate us to see the sites you suggested. Are you familiar with her service?

Barrie, Canada
reviews: 88
3. Re: St. Johns Newfoundland for a half day

luv2travel - are you SURE that you are coming to St. John's, Newfoundland and that you aren't going to be in SAINT JOHN, New Brunswick? Many people, including one recent poster whose cruise was going to Saint John (not St. John's), get these two cities mixed up. I'm not sure which cruise line you are traveling with but the Carnival Glory as an example travels to Saint John (no S) New Brunswick but it does not travel to St. John's (note the ST. and the 's), Newfoundland.

Having said that, there are a few cruise ships (Royal Caribbean Brilliance of the Seas and Jewel of the Seas, as examples) that do visit St. John's in the fall. I just thought I'd double-check with you.

Wichita KS
4. Re: St. Johns Newfoundland for a half day

Thanks for checking - I'm positive it is St. John's Newfoundland. We will be on Holland America's Eurodam ship. Ann's taxi will take us to Signal Hill, Quidi Vidi, Battery, Cape Spear and Water Street. Are you familiar with her service?

Barrie, Canada
reviews: 88
5. Re: St. Johns Newfoundland for a half day

Enjoy your cruise (sounds like a Trans-Atlantic from England). Sorry, I'm not familiar with any taxi service in St. John's. The places you mention all are worth visiting. I'm not sure where a cruise ship would dock in St. John's but it is entirely possible that it will be very close to Water Street since that is one area of dock in St. John's. Enjoy your visit.

St. John's, Canada
Destination Expert
for Newfoundland and Labrador
reviews: 31
6. Re: St. Johns Newfoundland for a half day

I've never heard of that service. I've never heard of someone running a taxi scam in St. John's either so you shouldn't worry. There are a lot of casual people to pop up when the cruise ships come in. The bonus is they are usually 1/3rd the price of the onboard bookings.

St. John's, Canada
Destination Expert
for Newfoundland and Labrador
reviews: 31
7. Re: St. Johns Newfoundland for a half day

Cruise ships always dock at harbour side pier when they are in St. John's a few exceptions but that is usually weather related. Its called "Harbour Side Drive" on maps.

Placentia, Canada
reviews: 17
8. Re: St. Johns Newfoundland for a half day

Pretty any of the taxi services will offer you a tour ....$$$.

Numerous taxi companies here ....city wide,newfound cabs,bugdens,st johns cabs.......Any questions just ask or pm me

good luck to ya!

Newfoundland
reviews: 27
9. Re: St. Johns Newfoundland for a half day

I've seen Ann's Taxi & Tours around so it is legit.

There are a lot of great shops and restaurants downtown that you can wander around as well when you are finished seeing all the sights.

Ottawa, Canada
10. Re: St. Johns Newfoundland for a half day

I just returned from St John's on the weekend. I had contacted Ann's Tours before going but was unimpressed with the response from her. I booked my tour with Lucille of Heritage Tours, we had so much fun,she is the most gracious, very funny and very knowledgeable, has a 7 passenger van and is very reasonably priced. Here is a link to her website and email

lconway54@hotmail.com

www.newfoundlandtours.ca

I hope you have a great trip!

Cheers,

Mary-Lynne