We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Early May camping in Labrador, NF, and along 389 in QC

Fort Kent
reviews: 1
Early May camping in Labrador, NF, and along 389 in QC

I am seeking advice on where to camp during an early May trip from Maine, up 389 in Quebec, across the Trans-Labrador Hwy, over to Newfoundland, down the west coast and back to NS, NB, and Maine. Are there any prohibitions against camping just off the highways in QC, Lab, or NF?

I'm guessing most of the campgrounds with showers will be closed during the first two weeks of May. From what I can tell, almost everything is closed until later in the month or June. Anyone know of campgrounds open at the beginning of May? I don't want to pay for too many hotels but I will need the occasional shower.

I'm assuming there will still be snow on the ground this time of year? Any hikes, backpacking trips, or anything else people recommend doing this time of year? All comments or advice will be appreciated!

Thanks!!

St. John's, Canada
Destination Expert
for Newfoundland and Labrador
reviews: 31
1. Re: Early May camping in Labrador, NF, and along 389 in QC

In most southern areas you won't find snow on the ground but it may snow on cold days then melt later.

There are a number of sites open you will just have to map out your route, some like Green Point in GMNP are open year round.

Why are you camping in May?

Fort Kent
2. Re: Early May camping in Labrador, NF, and along 389 in QC

Hi Doggles,

Thank you for your reply. When you say a number of sites will be open, are you referring only to Newfoundland? I haven't found any sites that will be open in Quebec or Labrador, which will comprise at least half of my trip. That's good to know Newfoundland will have more options. I hadn't researched that area yet.

I camp any time of year. That's part of the fun for me. Spring is often as nice as fall for camping. Nice and chilly, not many bugs, not many people!

Thanks!

Fort Kent
3. Re: Early May camping in Labrador, NF, and along 389 in QC

Actually, I don't see any campgrounds in western Newfoundland that open before mid-May either--at least according to their listings on various websites.

St. John's, Canada
Destination Expert
for Newfoundland and Labrador
reviews: 31
4. Re: Early May camping in Labrador, NF, and along 389 in QC

Your right, if you are looking for serviced camping sites (ie, a shower) you will have trouble finding them before the 2nd last week in may.

Most of the sites that are open year round are unserviced.

To get back to your first question about wilderness camping there is no reason why you can't do that. In labrador polar bear are a concern in some areas, black bear are in most other areas but are less of a predator.

I used to camp a lot year round and always found that olfactory blindness prevented the need for a shower :)

5. Re: Early May camping in Labrador, NF, and along 389 in QC

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, April 20, 2014