We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

38 years away

UK
Destination Expert
for Istria, Rovinj, Pula
reviews: 3
38 years away

We spent 1 year in St John's 1967/68 and our daugther was born there. We are going back for the 1st time end of August. Any advice on:

1. Changes in St Jonh's we should know about.

2. Changes in the Avalon peninsula (e.g. do places like Petty Harbour still exist).

3. Are we really too late in the year for whale watching.

4. Anything else we ought to know!

5. Does anybody know if Captain and Mrs Thorne of Viking Road are still living and if so where are they.

Ottawa, Ontario...
reviews: 5
11. Re: 38 years away

DannyG -

As you point out, you'll have to pack for all sorts of weather. Long pants, long sleeve shirts and lights jackets and sweaters for the evenings should be good both for St. John's and for the later part of September in Toronto. For early September in Toronto, you'll also have to be prepared in case of a late summer heat wave, where daytime highs can top 30 degrees!

Given the fondness you've expressed for Newfoundland, one site I would suggest you check out is "The Rooms" - this new site combines the Newfoundland Museaum and the Newfoundland Archives in one building overlooking downtown St. John's.

Noel

UK
Destination Expert
for Istria, Rovinj, Pula
12. Re: 38 years away

Thanks for all your advice Smiggly we will come well prepared..

UK
Destination Expert
for Istria, Rovinj, Pula
13. Re: 38 years away

Sorry Noelk I meant to include you too on the previous post. From what you say it doesn't look as though we are going to be able to travel light!

UK
Destination Expert
for Istria, Rovinj, Pula
14. Re: 38 years away

Smiggly: We're staying at Murray Premises for the first 4 nights of our trip 28 - 31st Aug. I hope it's as good as the reviews say. If you're in St Johns during this time feel free to pop in for a drink with us so we can thank you your helpful advice. Don't know our Room No. but just ask for the English Green family.

Newfoundland, Canada
15. Re: 38 years away

Certainly...

If I'm in the area, I'll be sure to pop in and say hello.

Enjoy your trip, I'm sure you'll love it here.

16. Re: 38 years away

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:16 am, August 15, 2009