We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Saint John tour recommendation with Roy Flowers

Which Saint John hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Englewood, Ohio
reviews: 62
Saint John tour recommendation with Roy Flowers

I've just returned from our New England cruise and in Saint John, I took the tour with Roy Flowers, and it was excellent. I had previously emailed Roy at royscab@hotmail.com and he replied that although he was already booked with a group of 25 from the day, he could add my group of 6 and stated that we would have our own van and driver who would follow Roy to all the various stops. During our port visit to Saint John, I wanted to see the sights of the city, including the Reversing Rapids/Falls, and on to St. Martins to enjoy the famous seafood chowder as well as walk on the beach and to checkout the sea caves. I also wanted to do the Fundy Trail Drive, but prior to discovering Roy, assumed that it was not possible to visit all three areas, Saint John, St. Martins, and the Fundy Trail. In my research, I found no tour that could do all three areas, and I had come to assume it was not possible due to time limitations. However, Roy assured me it was possible and so I agreed to take the tour with Roy. In fact, the Fundy Trail was technically closed for the season, but Roy had access to the gate. That's basically how I discovered Roy, I had emailed the Center at the Fundy Trail, www.fundytrailparkway.com and they confirmed that the Fundy Trail was closed after October 12, and we were going to be there on October 14. I asked them what they recommended regarding access, and they referred me to Roy and provided his email address.

We were promptly greeted by Roy once we disembarked the Caribbean Princess and met up with Roy and his other group of 25 from our ship. Roy took us to our van and driver, and we began our tour. Our driver's name was Jimmy and he was excellent, Roy did a great job with assigning us a knowledgeable and fun driver. Everyone in our group thoroughly enjoyed Jimmy and the tour. The tour began with a prompt visit to the Reversing Falls while the river was at high tide and we were able to see the river flowing in reverse, upstream. Afterwards, we were taken to several sights in Saint John with photo opportunities. At each stop, Roy checked on us to make sure we were enjoying our tour, and confirming if we were satisfied with our guide. I appreciated the fact that although Roy had a bigger group of 25 to look after, he made time to continuously check on us to see that we were all being well taken care of. Indeed, we were very pleased.

After Saint John, we then drove on to St. Martins, and Jimmy was very interesting and amusing all along the way. In St. Martins, we stopped for lunch at The Caves Restaurant which really does have fantastic seafood chowder. When we arrived at the restaurant, I was concerned there would be available inside tables for us because there appeared to be a bus of tourist that had just arrived. I was impressed to see that Roy had already made prior reservations for us and indeed we had our own table. After lunch, there was time to walk the beach and for me to take photos of the nearby sea caves. At this time, Roy informed me that due to time considerations of his larger group of 25, that his group would not be going on to The Fundy Trail, but that Jimmy would take us there. Roy knew that I wanted to see the Fundy Trail as part of our tour, and I appreciate him making the arrangements to permit us to continue on. Jimmy our driver was skeptical that the gate to the Fundy Trail Drive would be open, but Roy assured that he had made arrangement for access. Sure enough, when we arrived, we were greeted by the entrance gate attendant who stated they had been waiting for us. I was very impressed with Roy’s thoroughness.

On the return from the Fundy Trail back to Saint John, we stopped again for photo opportunities of the fishing boats and covered bridges. Back in Saint John, we were taken again to the Reversing Falls to see that the river had indeed reversed and the river was now flowing downstream. I appreciated being able to see the river during both high tide and low tide to witness both directions of flow of the river.

All in all, it was a great tour, and I highly recommend Roy Flowers. He provided us with an excellent guide, and looked after us throughout the tour. More importantly, he delivered all that he promised with visiting Saint John, St. Martins, and The Fundy Trial Drive. The cost of the tour was $50 USD per hour, and our tour was 6 hrs. This rate was far cheaper than any other tour, either from a local tour operator, or ships tour. In fact, there was no tour other than Roy's that provided stops in all three locations: Saint John, St. Martins, and The Fundy Trail. We returned back to the ship, all 6 of us, very satisfied with a wonderful visit to Saint John thanks to Roy and Jimmy. Both are very proud of there hometown, which is indeed is a beautiful city, they both enjoyed sharing their city with us, and we enjoyed being with them.

1. Re: Saint John tour recommendation with Roy Flowers

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:20 am, April 20, 2010