We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can I walk aX bridge between St Stephen NB & Calais Maine?

Saudi Arabia
reviews: 2
Can I walk aX bridge between St Stephen NB & Calais Maine?

Greetings:

I park my car in St Stephen New Brunswick and walk across the bridge between St Stephen NB and Calais Maine. Please note that my car is a rental and I am not allowed to leave Canada with it. If the bridge is only for cars, is there another way to visit Calais Maine from St Stephen like a daily bus service. Please note we would like to return the same day if we visit Calais Maine from St Stephen. Any information given is greatly appreciated.

Halifax, Canada
reviews: 64
1. Re: Can I walk aX bridge between St Stephen NB & Calais Maine?

You can easily walk across the border. Just make sure you use the bridge downtown, not the major border Just get a cab in Calais to get around. Unfortunately not a lot in Calais anymore. What type of things are you looking or in Calais?

Wainwright, Canada
reviews: 14
2. Re: Can I walk aX bridge between St Stephen NB & Calais Maine?

I am originally from SS, and just returned from visiting there. It is easy to cross the downtown bridge on foot. Stop at the US customs on the other side of the bridge. You WILL need your passport. Occasionally, you can get across using your driver's licence, but that is becoming more and more difficult, if not impossible. I presume you can cross by taxi as well, via either the downtown or Milltown bridges, although I have not done so. By the way, I recommend both the King Street Takeout for Fish/Chips, and the Bistro on the main street for excellent food, and real coffee/expresso. Enjoy!

Edited: 3:02 pm, August 02, 2013
West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto, TripAdvisor Support
reviews: 69
3. Re: Can I walk aX bridge between St Stephen NB & Calais Maine?

>>"Occasionally, you can get across using your driver's licence..."<<

As the OP isn't a Canadian or American citizen, the likelihood of just using a DL, is zero.

Best Regards

HAMILTON
reviews: 36
4. Re: Can I walk aX bridge between St Stephen NB & Calais Maine?

Yes, easily. It takes less than five minutes.

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto, TripAdvisor Support
reviews: 69
5. Re: Can I walk aX bridge between St Stephen NB & Calais Maine?

Old post

HAMILTON
6. Re: Can I walk aX bridge between St Stephen NB & Calais Maine?

Answer still relevant, though!

Eastport, Maine
reviews: 29
7. Re: Can I walk aX bridge between St Stephen NB & Calais Maine?

Yes, you can walk across the bridge. You'll need to have proper identification, preferably a passport, and walk into the customs building to be cleared to enter the US. there is nolocal bus service in Calais. If you want to go further than the downtown a cab is your only option. I noticed someone recommended the Bistro in St. Stephen. The last I knew the Bistro had closed.

HAMILTON
8. Re: Can I walk aX bridge between St Stephen NB & Calais Maine?

Yes, the Bistro is closed, unfortunately. The pizzeria on the riverfront, however, has quite a nice menu.

9. Re: Can I walk aX bridge between St Stephen NB & Calais Maine?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:19 am, October 16, 2014