We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sunday evening near Via Rail station

Which Winnipeg hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Kingston, Canada
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel
reviews: 108
Sunday evening near Via Rail station

Hi,

I am traveling with someone on the train from Toronto to Winnipeg, spending the Saturday night in Winnipeg, and then returning to Toronto (the train trip is the destination really, and Winnipeg is the turnaround). We will be traveling in early May (weather may of course go either way). I've been to Winnipeg twice so have a basic idea of the Forks area.

The person I am traveling with has a disability, which effects her ability to stay interested in things, her ability to walk long distances, and her motivation to do things other than shop or eat. Anyway, we need to check out of the hotel (I was thinking we'd stay at the Fort Garry Hotel since it is so close to the train station) Sunday, and our train is supposed to depart at 9:30 pm (hopefully on time). I am a bit worried about what to do Sunday evening once the shopping closes. I was thinking a nice relaxing dinner someplace close that isn't too fancy, but then we still will have lots of time.

Any suggestions on what to do during that time, and/or for restaurants?

Thanks.

ktown

14 replies to this topic
Manitoba, Canada
reviews: 4
1. Re: Sunday evening near Via Rail station

I'll give it some thought but also wanted to mention your two other options for hotels: Humphry Inn (you'll see on a map that it's very close) and Inn at the Forks.

Winnipeg, Canada
reviews: 35
2. Re: Sunday evening near Via Rail station

If a movie would keep her attention, there is the globe theatre in portage place. You could always go there and catch a movie.

Winnipeg, Canada
reviews: 35
3. Re: Sunday evening near Via Rail station

For restaurants, it depends what you want. There is everything from pizza places (boston pizza) to high end ,to low end and everything in bewteen. I would suggest maybe hitting mitzi's. Its kind of a local legend of a restaurant. If you google chicken fingers winnipeg the first 3 pages of hits are almost all exclusivly mitzi mentions. They are known for being the best chicken fingers in the city. its not expensive, and its a true local winnipeg experience.

Edited: 5:57 am, April 03, 2014
Winnipeg Canada
Destination Expert
for Winnipeg
reviews: 253
4. Re: Sunday evening near Via Rail station

Note I have phoned Mitzi and they are not open on Sunday.

Kingston, Canada
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel
5. Re: Sunday evening near Via Rail station

Thanks for the replies.

I wanted someplace with a pool/hot tub, so Inn at the Forks was out. I considered the Humphrey Inn, but am strongly leaning toward the Fort Garry because the person I am traveling with is seriously lazy. I think the walk to the Humphrey would be rather unpleasant with her, and her luggage. I also thought that if the weather is bad when we arrive the closer the better. Is there any specific reason you think we should reconsider?

I thought of a movie, but it is highly unlikely that it would work. I was curious about Mitzi's, but it looks like it is closed on Sundays. I know Boston Pizza would work, I was really just hoping to stay away from the usual chains - good to know it's around there and an option though.

Thanks for the help though - it is very much appreciated.

ktown

Kingston, Canada
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel
6. Re: Sunday evening near Via Rail station

Oops, somehow I missed inthegarden's post about Mitzi's...

ktown

SE Ontario
reviews: 8
7. Re: Sunday evening near Via Rail station

I know you don't really want chains, but as a last resort, there is a Keg about two blocks from the Fort Garry... easy to pick up your luggage after dinner and then head to the station.

Winnipeg, Canada
reviews: 4
8. Re: Sunday evening near Via Rail station

What about the revolving restaurant atop the Fort Garry, no idea how pricey it is, but the view might keep your travel buddy interested.

Winnipeg
reviews: 9
9. Re: Sunday evening near Via Rail station

I think your choice of Fort Garry is great if your looking for a nice hotel that is walking distance. If décor is an issue, mention you'd prefer a room that's been remodeled. As a historic hotel, its nice to walk around and read some of the history. The Forks has a number of eateries that are unique. I would suggest eating in the lounge area of the Current, usually live jazz is playing on the weekends and a bit more reasonably priced say 10 to 20$.

I must tell you, the buffet breakfast sunday at the Fort Garry is fantastic if that's included with your stay! There is a lounge inside of the hotel, A vaulted ceiling, round room with a baby Grand piano and that might be an option to eat and relax in Saturday or sunday night.

The restaurant that 'revolves' is called Prairie 360 and while reviews are mixed regarding the food ( I haven't eaten there yet) the view is quite awesome- when will you be back in Winnipeg to see such a thing? Hope that helps a little.

Edited: 1:40 pm, April 22, 2014
Kingston, Canada
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel
10. Re: Sunday evening near Via Rail station

Thanks everyone for your replies.

It's just a few weeks away now, so have to get down to firming up our plans.

ktown

Reply to: Sunday evening near Via Rail station
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted