We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

ski experence

Which Whistler hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
australia
ski experence

G'day

My husband and i are planning to visit Whistler in Nov 24th 2006 .We live in northern Australia so you can imagine complete opposite to snow..lol. But we use to ski many years ago on a regualr basis when we lived in sth Aust. Would love to know...will there be sufficient snow coverage this time of the year? also ideas of packages for ski/gear? oh and i should also include will definatley need a refresher lesson..lol.Any suggestions on that also

kind regards Aussie

Vancouver, Canada
reviews: 26
1. Re: ski experence

I can't find it listed on the Whistler web site, but Nov 23 is probably the first scheduled day for the 2006-2007 season. That is also the American Thanksgiving weekend, which is exactly why it's always scheduled as opening day. Sometimes, like this past year, the mountains will open earlier - it all depends on conditions. Certainly in late Nov you will find early season conditions - obstacles such as trees, creeks, etc. could be in the way (although generally clearly marked), and many runs will not be open yet, including probably all the alpine runs at the top. That said, go & have fun, but don't expect the best conditions of the year.

For rental packages & lessons (as well as lift tickets), you can often get good deals in advance when you book your hotel. Ask the reservation agent at the hotel if you are booking directly or at the agency if you use one (I think most hotels book through an agency exclusively). I believe I booked through Whistler.com in the past (they've changed their web site, so it looks different, but I think that was the company) and they were excellent.

Enjoy!

Melbourne
reviews: 4
2. Re: ski experence

Hi There

Its hard to predict if Nov 24 week will be great or it will be a slow start...since you are coming all the way from Australia, is it possible at all to delay your trip? even by a week or two? if not, then by all means go! You will still have a fantastic time!

May i suggest you look up www.valuetours.com.au and call them for a quote, they package everything up for you from flights, transfers, accommodation, lessons, ski hire etc! They usually provide very good prices...although they mark up the cost of a lift ticket something shocking...all ski wholesalers in aust do this...

You could also look at renting a condo www.alluradirect.com

I do know if you book with an aust wholesaler they usually throw in free lessons if you book early and the earlier you book flights the cheaper the rate will be...so worth looking into now...

Whistler is a great town, you will have a fantastic time!