We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First timer in Whistler (or any ski resort for that matter)

Which Whistler hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Quezon City...
reviews: 29
First timer in Whistler (or any ski resort for that matter)

Hi everyone! First off, I'd like to say that I've never been to a place that has snow, never mind a ski resort. I live in a tropical country where heat is the norm.

We're planning on visiting Whistler in mid-April 2013, and I have absolutely no idea what I and my family would need to wear for this trip. Would I need a thick jacket? Would jeans be enough? How about regular shoes? Gloves? Hat?

And while I did say that heat is normal in my country, I HATE it. I love cold temperatures. :) I sweat like a pig when it's hot and I hate it LOL :)

Hope you guys can give me some good advice...

Vancouver, Canada
reviews: 49
1. Re: First timer in Whistler (or any ski resort for that matter)

April is always a "question mark" month. The average temp in the village is in the low to mid fifties. Typically no snow in the village in April. Snowfall on the mountain averages 20 to 40 inches in April.

I am sure that others will weigh in.

Vancouver, Canada
reviews: 42
2. Re: First timer in Whistler (or any ski resort for that matter)

HI John,

Yes, April is really more early spring than late winter. There won't be snow in the village and you will be walking around in running shoes and jeans. A warm "ski" jacket would be a good idea, along with some light gloves and a thin hat for night time, especially as it will feel very cold to you.

Are you planning to actually ski? Or just visit? Once you get up into the snow, shoes or boots with good tread is critical. Runners will be like ice skates up there. It probably won't be all that much colder during the day, but there will be snow and you'll need to be prepared for that.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
reviews: 39
3. Re: First timer in Whistler (or any ski resort for that matter)

You will find Canada officially uses metric measurement, although conversationally you will hear Imperial measures spoken.

Here is the temperature data from the government of Canada's website for April:

…weatheroffice.gc.ca/climateData/…

It was about 10C here today. Most people were wearing lined jackets, some with toques and scarves. Others were wearing shorts and hoodies over shirts, such as letter carriers and bus drivers. Everyone seemed to be wearing closed toed shoes.

Vancouver-by-the-Sea
Destination Expert
for British Columbia
4. Re: First timer in Whistler (or any ski resort for that matter)

Note that swine have only a few sweat glands and thus do not perspire much at all- they roll in mud or water to cool off.

April in Whistler won't be cold at all-just a jacket is lots even for the most thin blooded Pinoy.

Quezon City...
5. Re: First timer in Whistler (or any ski resort for that matter)

Thanks for your replies!

Vancouverite67,

Well, the plan is just to visit, but if we can get the chance to try skiing, why not? Shoes or boots with good tread? Can we rent those in Whistler? Or do I really have to buy a pair?

Even if we do decide not to ski, we still want to go up top to experience the snow.

Muftimixandmatch,

We also officially use the metric system, but sometimes use imperial in conversations, so no problems there :)

SamSalmon,

Haha yeah I knew that... I was just using the expression LOL :)

Vancouver, Canada
6. Re: First timer in Whistler (or any ski resort for that matter)

Something like this would be enough

amazon.com/Hi-Tec-Mens-Falcon-Waterproof-Hik…

I've seen Hi Tec boots on sale for pretty cheap, so you don't need a really fancy hiking boot, just something with a deeper tread than you see on your typical running shoe. As these would also be good in rain and mud, you may find it a worthwhile investment if you don't have anything suitable.

Vancouver
Destination Expert
for San Jose del Cabo
reviews: 32
7. Re: First timer in Whistler (or any ski resort for that matter)

I just checked on-line and it looks like the Peak to Peak gondola should be open until April 21. Hopefully you'll come in time to ride that.

The only other thing I would add is that you can ride the gondola right to the top and view the snow from the comfort of inside a chalet. You really only need boots if you plan on venturing out more than 20 feet.

Quezon City...
8. Re: First timer in Whistler (or any ski resort for that matter)

Vancouverite67,

Nice! Thanks for the tip. I'll try to find a similar product here.

Pantix,

Wow thanks for the heads-up. We're planning on going April 16, so We're just squeaking by! :) Good to know because I really wanna ride that.

Vancouver, Canada
9. Re: First timer in Whistler (or any ski resort for that matter)

Valid point Pantix. But if the OP is prepared, then there's all that much more to enjoy! :>

Whistler, British...
reviews: 4
10. Re: First timer in Whistler (or any ski resort for that matter)

John you have chosen by far one of the best times to come to Whistler! You will be here during the World Ski and Snowboard Festival (http://www.wssf.com/)! Spring skiing, cultural events, concerts, art exhibits and big ski/snowboard contests. The Village is ALIVE and there is always something to do or see. I'd encourage you to check out the schedule of events and plan on attending some things.

Bring sunscreen because spring skiing can become summer skiing pretty fast when you are up in the mountains.

Get answers to your questions about Whistler