We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

non skier in whistler

Which Whistler hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
reviews: 1
non skier in whistler

coming to whistler 15 nights over christmas - unable to ski. Can anyone give advice on what I could do? places to visit, bus trips etc.. anything! Hope you can help!

Vancouver, Canada
reviews: 52
1. Re: non skier in whistler

15 days and nights in Whistler and no skiing...sounds like a lot ot tea and television. Whistler is fairly isolated and outside of outdoor sports related and souvenir shopping...and bars and restaurants...it is really geared to outdoor activities. Walking, dog sledding, snowshoeing and snowmobiling will fill some time. Bus trips...not really.

Check these websites out:

http://www.whistlerblackcomb.com/

http://www.whistler.com/activities/winter/

Vancouver, Canada
reviews: 46
2. Re: non skier in whistler

When you say "unable to ski" what does that mean exactly? Is it something physical that prevents you from skiing, or just that you haven't skied or don't want to? Does that include all snow sports, such as snow shoeing or nordic skiing, or do you just mean downhill skiing?

I would strongly recommend that you take up snowshoeing. Its just like going for a walk and there are some great trails, especially if you head over to the Callahagn Valley. I'd look into some snowmobiling too.

Otherwise, there is a recreation centre with a pool, a movie theatre and there used to be some snow golf, but I don't know if they are still doing that. Here's the list of "things to do" on the tourism website, and its pretty long.

http://www.whistler.com/activities/winter/

You are also within reach of Vancouver. If you are the only non-skier in your group, with 15 days to hand, I'd plan to head into Vancouver for a couple of nights at least for some variety.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
3. Re: non skier in whistler

<<places to visit, bus trips etc>>

I would actually spend about 4-5 nights of that time in Vancouver. There are so many Christmas attractions in Vancouver at Christmas.

It takes 2 hours by car, 2.5 hours by coach to travel between Whistler and Vancouver. Then to visit Victoria on Vancouver Island, you would need 4 hours journey time from Vancouver by coach/ferry. Another location is Nanaimo which is about 4 hours from Vancouver at mid Island again by coach/ferry.

Otherwise, it is a ski resort so bring your e-reader or iPad and download movies and books.

Are you committed to the full 15 days? Perhaps you could take a week and then move on to Vancouver.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
reviews: 13
4. Re: non skier in whistler

15 days seems like an awful long time to be in Whistler if you don't ski, although you could certainly take advantage of non-skiing activities, of which there are many. I wrote a blog post earlier this year about this very topic:

604pulse.com/2012/…

Other ideas do include heading out of Whistler to Vancouver for several nights, or simply pursuing other snow/winter outdoor activities (snowmobiling, snowshoeing, dogsledding, cross country skiing, ice skating, etc.)

If you're not physically incapable of skiing, I would certainly look into learning how to ski. I can't ski simply because I never properly learned how and never went skiing as a kid... but even so, a group of friends invited me out skiing at Whistler years ago. I joined them, telling them full well that I've never skied. I went with them regardless, rented skis, and slogged my way down the green runs. If I can do it, you can do it. Believe me. My recommendation would be to take a lesson - beginners skiing for adults. Whistler is a fabulous place to learn because there are beginner runs top to bottom all over the mountain.

Edited: 10:33 pm, November 14, 2012
5. Re: non skier in whistler

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 1:05 am, November 16, 2012
Nanaimo, Canada
Destination Expert
for Nanaimo, Vancouver Island
reviews: 280
6. Re: non skier in whistler

Notwithstanding the 5 excellent suggestions BC_Robyn makes in her blog piece noted in post #4, I think anyone would struggle to fill 15 days in Whistler if they were 'unable' to ski.

Our family spent 5 days at Whistler during Spring Break with another family from London. I was the only one not to ski. Wasn't able to. I walked everywhere I could. Went to, it seemed like, every coffee shop, restaurant and store. Read a lot of books, magazines ect. Ran out of things to do during the daytime.

Finally bought a book called "Jokes Every Man Should Know" by Don Steinberg. I memorized a 100 classic jokes and tried them out on the families at night. They begged me to stop; not out of laughter mind you.

If I was in Whistler for 15 days, I would heed the advice of others and take a trip to Squamish, Vancouver or Pemberton, by car or bus, and have the opportunity to see a bit more of the area.

Also, as others have noted, if possible, learning to snowshoe or taking beginner ski lessons might be a great idea for you.

BTW, have you heard this great joke? A guy in a bar says to the bartender, "I'll be you two hundred dollars that you can .... (continued on page 76 of said joke book).

London, United...
reviews: 1
7. Re: non skier in whistler

Thank you for the posts - really appreciate

I am unable to ski as I have severe osteoporosis but what is this snowshoeing? I wonder if I could do that - is it classed as a winter sport for my insurance?

Vancouver, Canada
8. Re: non skier in whistler

This is snowshoeing...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7_8v5BwUmE

I am pretty sure it would classified as a winter sport...

Nanaimo, Canada
Destination Expert
for Nanaimo, Vancouver Island
reviews: 280
9. Re: non skier in whistler

Hi Heather,

It is essentially walking on snow however there are risks, albeit generally less than with downhill skiing, that I can only imagine your insurer would take a dim view on.

Based on your new information, I would strongly recommend a trip to Vancouver or other locale as I can not imagine you will find 15 days worth of entertainment in any ski resort if you osteoporosis.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
10. Re: non skier in whistler

I agree that you want to be out of Whistler. The ground in Vancouver will be wet but not icy or slippery and you will be able to get around so much more easily with more attractions and activities to participate in.

Wish I knew more about your overall plans so as to provide more suggestions. You may have a non refundable booking at Whistler, just don't know.