We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Whistler exit from Horseshoe Bay

Which Whistler hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
B.C.
Level Contributor
115 posts
7 reviews
Whistler exit from Horseshoe Bay

I haven't been to Whistler for probably 30 years. Back then, when you left the Horseshoe Bay ferry terminal, you would just make a left turn on to the highway to Whistler. Now I believe you have to travel towards Vancouver and then exit right. Can anyone tell me approx. how far the exit is from the ferry terminal? Thank you.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
41,204 posts
54 reviews
1. Re: Whistler exit from Horseshoe Bay

Ah, the left turn. Long gone.

You are quite right in that you must drive from HB towards Vancouver. The exit ramp is at Exit 4, so you go off there, turn left onto the overpass and drive to Woodgreen. You have to turn right at Woodgreen and take an elongated cloverleaf to access the highway westbound again.

Aha, thank heaven for Safeways. Here is the google map which allows you to see that intersection because I could use a Safeway to get to Exit 4. Zoom the map out for better perspective. And it's ~6 minutes.

http://goo.gl/maps/UWd4

Edited: 1:30 am, June 22, 2012
Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
19,083 posts
2 reviews
2. Re: Whistler exit from Horseshoe Bay

Just follow the giant signs, no worries.

Have fun.

Cheers,

Terry

Nanaimo, Canada
Destination Expert
for Nanaimo, Vancouver Island
Level Contributor
4,630 posts
330 reviews
3. Re: Whistler exit from Horseshoe Bay

Are you coming off a ferry docking at Horseshoe Bay? If so within a few hundred metres of the terminal, as you begin to go up hill, just past the traffic light, leaving the terminal property, you'll see an exit marked for Whistler. Take that right hand exit. At the top is a roundabout and you'll head left and go over the overpass (terminal grounds will be below you). At the end of the bridge, turn left and you're on the Sea to Sky Highway.

Did this less than a month ago so unless something has changed, no need to go to Caulfeild exit (#4) and turn around. You would only need to go up to Caulfeild and turn around if you needed to re-enter go back to the toll booths at the ferry terminal.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
41,204 posts
54 reviews
4. Re: Whistler exit from Horseshoe Bay

Well, well, live and learn.

I've looked at Google Maps and I now see what they have done with "the old left turn" to get you onto the highway northbound. You can indeed "make a left turn onto the highway to Whistler."

Here is the google maps satellite view from "Marine Drive and Horseshoe Bay Drive" (renamed from the old Hwy 99) to the flyover near Pascoe Road that accesses the current Hwy 99.)

http://goo.gl/maps/nPjX

Zoom in accordingly to see the details.

Thank you so much Dave, for not only driving HB to northbound 99 but also reporting here.

However, these directions do not work for people who are travelling from Lighthouse Park or HB to catch a ferry. They will need to go to Exit 4 and turn around in order to be able to access the ferry fare booths.

Edited: 1:13 pm, June 22, 2012
B.C.
Level Contributor
115 posts
7 reviews
5. Re: Whistler exit from Horseshoe Bay

Thank you for all your help. It was my adult daughter travelling to Whistler and I was getting directions for her. Thanks to you, she had no problem and loved Whistler (wants to go back). I used to live north of whistler in the late 60's and early 70's and I'm sure there isn't any part of the trip that would be familiar to me now.

Nanaimo, Canada
Destination Expert
for Nanaimo, Vancouver Island
Level Contributor
4,630 posts
330 reviews
6. Re: Whistler exit from Horseshoe Bay

You're welcome!

Vancouver, Canada
2 posts
7. Re: Whistler exit from Horseshoe Bay

Help - earlier msgs have confused me.

I am being dropped at Horseshoe Bay terminal tomorrow, Thu Nov 18 th

how to direct driver to highway to Whistler from there.

Thanks

Aine

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
41,204 posts
54 reviews
8. Re: Whistler exit from Horseshoe Bay

Hi AineGreen ~

http://goo.gl/maps/Jr9iC

Open the above link. Drive off the ferry and stay in the right lane. Go to the first traffic light at the white maple leaf in the green Hwy 1 icon near balloon A. Turn right.

Follow the route from Balloon A to Balloon D. At Balloon D turn left. Continue up the road to Balloon E. At that point, follow the signs to take the flyover across Hwy 99 so that you can access it North. Carry on to Whistler.

Zoom the map for details.

Vancouver, Canada
2 posts
9. Re: Whistler exit from Horseshoe Bay

Thanks for your quick response. The driver is coming from Vancouver, dropping me to catch ferry to Nanaimo, and then driving on to Whistler - so will not be exiting the ferry [re your note] I will have her drop me at walk-on plaza and drive through H Bay using the balloon map and on they go.

Thanks so much. The driver is 92 from Vancouver and she and grandaughter - interning in Anestheseology in St John's NFLD - are heading to Whistler for a holiday!! Great gals!!

I've copied the info for them.

AINE

10. Re: Whistler exit from Horseshoe Bay

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:19 am, December 15, 2013