We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Snowboarding in Whistler

Which Whistler hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
California
reviews: 2
Snowboarding in Whistler

We are planning a trip to Whistler in February. I have snowboarded before in Colorado and Utah, but I am still a beginner. How is Whistler to learn how to snowboard? Are there many good, beginner runs? Do you recommend taking private lessons or are the group lessons ok?

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
reviews: 3
1. Re: Snowboarding in Whistler

Of the two mountains, stick to Blackcomb. The vertical is the real issue for most. If you want to go to Whistler Mtn, stick to Olympic Station area, as it is wide green runs. Not sure of your ability, so it is tough to judge how good you are.

For lessons, either is fine. The instructors are good, and I did the group lessons a long time ago. Private will cost more, so it depends on how much jake you want to spend.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
reviews: 13
2. Re: Snowboarding in Whistler

I'm a beginner too, and by no means an expert on skiing in Whistler/Blackcomb, but the only time I ever went skiing at Whistler (which was the 3rd time I had ever gone skiing in my life!) - I spent the entire time on Whistler mountain on the green runs. I loved it and would go back, so if you're looking for beginner-friendly runs, I found Whistler's green runs to be great.

Seattle WA
reviews: 4
3. Re: Snowboarding in Whistler

The great thing about both Whistler and Blackcomb is that there are TONS of green runs on both mountains. Also, you can head to the total top of the mountains and still find green runs-- you don't have to stick to the bottom. You can literally go from peak to village and be on green runs the whole time if that's what you want. Both mountains have very good signage. The lessons are very well done, both group and private. One difference with Whistler compared to Colorado and Utah, though, is the snow is not as dry. But the overal package (snow, mountains, scenery, village, lifts, variety, etc.) is the BEST.