We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can I do this in a day without a car?

Which Victoria hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Boca Raton, Florida
reviews: 28
Can I do this in a day without a car?

I had intended to goto Whistler for 2 days of skiing but as a result of comments in the Whistler Forum, I am now going to spend a day in Victoria. I won't have a car and am wondering if this list is possible? I know that there is a bus that there is a bus that leaves Vancouver around 6AM and I would be willing to take that if I could squeeze everything in since most places close between 4 and 5 PM. How much time do people suggest spending at each location? I know item 4 won't require that much time but what about the other locations?

1. Parliament Buildings

2. Craigdarroch Castle

3. Butchart Gardens

4. Starfish Glassworks for a little shopping

North Vancouver...
reviews: 2
1. Re: Can I do this in a day without a car?

Sounds like way too much to do in Victoria in just one day, IMHO. You might want to consider spending both days in Victoria, or stick with your original plan and give 2 days to Whistler. Even if you only ski for one of your 2 days, there are other things to do in Whistler -- cycle or hike the Valley Trail, lots of restaurants and good shopping.

Fremont, CA
2. Re: Can I do this in a day without a car?

I agree too much for one day. The gardens are a few hours as is as it takes a little while to get there. I don't know how they are now but frankly in October I found them cold and boring and at least they had the mums and autumn colors. Don't know what would be there now unless the spring bulbs are coming up. Normally it is fantastic. Missed the Starfish glassworks though. the castle and the parliament buildings would be easy and then spend the rest of the time see Empress or just looking around harbour. Great place. Are you talking about the bus on the ferry. You have to allow for ferry time and then about 45 minutes from ferry to downtown Victoria so play on at least 2 hours from downtown Vancouver to Victoria downtown. You have to take a ferry and that is about 45 minutes I think. You need to check it out. If you can take the sea plane over you will save a lot of time but not money.

Boca Raton, Florida
3. Re: Can I do this in a day without a car?

if I can't do everything in a day should I cut out the gardens or the castle? The glassworks are pen the latest so I don't have to remove that from the list. I hate to remove anything but would still like to get to Whistler the next day for a ziptrek ride. I know that greylane offers transportation from Vancouver that alows people to spend a few hours in Victoria's downtown and see the gardens but is a few hours in the downtown area enough? Oh, a few people have mentioned the empress but what is so special about it?

North Vancouver...
4. Re: Can I do this in a day without a car?

Sabrina, you didn't say when you were coming up here, but if it's soon, the Butchart Gardens will be beautiful. All the spring flowers are in bloom - daffodils, cherry trees, hyacinths, etc. As for the Empress, I agree, it's more impressive from the outside than the inside.

But I still think you should stick to Whistler and do Victoria another time, when you can spend 3-4 days and see everything properly. The skiing at Whistler is not its usual spectacular quality but it's still way better than what you'd get in Florida lol! And the apres scene is just as much fun as ever.

Fremont, CA
5. Re: Can I do this in a day without a car?

I think the consensus is to do one or the other. If you take a float plane you can do all of it as they leave early though I think they leave before dark. Perhaps it would be worth it if you think you are only going to be here once.

Boca Raton, Florida
6. Re: Can I do this in a day without a car?

Thanks for the replies. Someone replied that if I was coming soon the flowers would be in bloom. Hopefully by the time I arrive in Canada on the 12th of April I can still get some good pictures. I once went to DC in the Spring and the season when the Cherry Blossoms were in bloom was so short that if I had showed up a week later I would have missed seeing the blossoms. I debated between going straight to Victoria or wandering around Vancouver on the 12th and have decided that it will probably be best to spend the first day in Vancouver without a set schedule. I will have been traveling since 5:30AM Miami time and think it will be better to not rush to Victoria to see the sights before they close. I really wanted to goto Whistler since the whole town of Whistler sounds so tranquil and beautiful compared to Miami. Plus, as a person posting pointed out, Whistler has much better skiing than what I could do in Florida. I am just concerned because a person in the Whistler forum said that it is only possible to ski higher up on the mountain and that those locations are not the safest places for beginners. I have no doubt that I am a beginner and 10 year olds that are natives to BC can ski better than I can. I will probably wait until April to make a firm decision that is based on the snow fall. However, if I do spend both the 13th and 14th in Victoria instead of splitting the time between Whistler and Victoria, what sights in Victoria do people suggest I had to my list? I have no idea when I will get to Vancouver again since it is quite far from where I am so I want to make sure that I see as many highlights as possible.

Vancouver, Canada
7. Re: Can I do this in a day without a car?

had to jump in here.. as someone mentioned unless you fly to Victoria you will spend considerable time on bus and ferry.. from downtown vancouver to the ferry, is about 45 minutes but I think they allow 1 hour for traffic.. the ferry ride itself is

1+ 1/2 hours then its another 1/2 hour to Victoria.. so altogether for one day you would spend 3 hours EACH WAY travel tiime!(6 hours is a long time) the ferry is beautiful but you should at least fly one way if you have time constraints. If you choose Victoria you could just add some time to stroll on Fort Street and the harbor area but if you are looking for a complete change from Miami I vote for Whistler.. even if you don't ski the ride up the sea to sky highway, the forests,the village, the hiking is all a complete change. Right now the cherries are blooming in vancouver so there is a good chance they will be finished by April 12 but there will be lots of other flowers out. If you want a great spring garden you can go to University of BC Botanical garden at that time of year there are literally acres of Rhdodendrons and clematis in bloom .. it is unique.. also though smaller than Butcharts Gardens.. Queen Elizabeth Park in vancouver has many of the same features..formal gardens in a rock quarry setting.. lots of weddings are set there because of the beautiful grounds and bonus .. it's free! I am assuming you will be spending some time in vancouver.. Victoria is nice but it is just a small city..if you have been to England skip Victoria.. also I think you will be too early for the hanging baskets which add to it's charm..

so you will be rushing around to see somehting not that different overall. ( apologies to those in Victoria I think it is a better place to live than visit!)

North Vancouver...
8. Re: Can I do this in a day without a car?

Sabrina: I was in Miami last summer and I own a place in Whistler - you're right, the 2 could not be more different lol! Don't worry about being a beginner skier, there are runs for all levels of ability at Whistler - the place is huge. You can take a lesson if it makes you feel more confident.

Good advice about Queen Elizabeth Park at Little Mountain - the spring flowers will be beautiful there. The rhododendrons will probably be out in Stanley Park too. And as far as flowers go, Whistler's blooming season is a little behind Vancouver, so you might even see some cherry blossoms and daffodils up there. I agree with previous poster - you will be just way too rushed to do Victoria. You'll probably wish you had more time for Vancouver. Enjoy your holiday!

Get answers to your questions about Victoria