We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vancouver/ Victoria/Rockies/Alaska/Niagra

Which Victoria hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney, Australia
Vancouver/ Victoria/Rockies/Alaska/Niagra

Hi from Aust. I am planning my first trip to Canada I arrive 4 May Spending 2 nights Rosedale on Robson, Van. then 2 nights Executive House Hotel Vict. Does anyone have any comment on these Hotels and what sort of weather can I expect. I am doing the Rocky Mountaineer, then the Alaskan Cruise then fly to Toronto then to Niagra Falls.Only being able to bring a certain amount of luggage this has thrown me in a spin. Being a woman I Have a tendancy to want to bring everything but the kitchen sink..LOL

Any assistance would be greatly sppreciated.

Vancouver, Canada
1. Re: Vancouver/ Victoria/Rockies/Alaska/Niagra

Arriving in beginning of may you should be in the middle of spring weather.. sunny days with cool evenings. bring layers..

t shirt, shirt, sweater and definitely a rain coat/jacket.. being Vancouver it can rain at any time. one question? if you are doing rocky mountaineer why start in vancouver, go to Victoria and then back.? are you flying from inner harbor Vancouver to Victoria? if so then this is ok but otherwise you will use about 4-5 hours of a day getting from Vancouver to Victoria assuming you are using bus/ ferry combo. and the same time getting back. Perhaps you should fly to Victoria immediately on arrival and then take ferry back to vancouver and spend time here.. then off to the mountains. One suggestion re: luggage if you really want a lot of clothes for the cruise why not parcel them up when you get back to vancouver and mail them home? also are you going direct from train to cruise? if not the Vancouver hotel may store bags for you for a few days at a nominal fee. then you can continue to Toronto with less luggage. Don't know hotels but check reviews on this site as they seem fairly accurate.

Calgary, Alberta...
reviews: 3
2. Re: Vancouver/ Victoria/Rockies/Alaska/Niagra

Hello ladystation,

Although you haven���t said exactly how long your trip will last, I���m guessing from the activities you���ve listed that you���ll be in Toronto / Niagara towards the end of May. The coldest temperatures you could expect to encounter would be about -10 deg C in the Canadian Rockies and the warmest temperatures you could expect to encounter would be about +25 deg C in Toronto / Niagara.

I have not been to Alaska, but I did a search for Anchorage on the Weather Underground website, and it appears that the Alaskan coast will be no colder than the Canadian Rockies, and in fact probably will be milder.

You will want to bring sensible footwear, probably light hiking boots, to the Rockies. You'll probably want to bring one pair of nicer shoes for wearing out to dinner in good restaurants. In addition to that, for the times when you might encounter warm / hot weather, you might want to bring a pair of sandals (I recommend sturdy walking sandals rather than sandals with flimsy straps).

The answer to your dilemma, as star1947 has indicated, is layers. You'll need everything from short sleeved T-shirts, through long sleeved cotton turtleneck tops, to a sweater (jumper) and what we think of as a spring / autumn jacket or coat but you think of as a winter jacket or coat. Bring a woollen cap (beanie), scarf and gloves. Also bring an umbrella and, for the other end of the spectrum, a sun hat. Many travellers like the trousers with zip-on / zip-off legs, because they are so versatile for colder and hotter weather.

Canada for the most part is quite a casual place, and casual clothing will take you most places at lunchtime. For evening meals in upscale restaurants you'll want to wear smart casual clothes (smart shoes, a pair of smart slacks, and a nice long sleeved blouse and/or jumper).

I have never been on a cruise. Oh yes, I have been on a 10-passenger sailing boat around the Whitsundays, but we dined in our swim suits, so that was not at all the same sort of thing as the cruise on which you will be going. I must confess I haven���t a clue how to pack for a cruise. Star1947���s suggestion of mailing your cruise wardrobe back to Australia after the cruise sounds as if it has merit.

When I did a Google search for CRUISE + WEAR, I found this cruise planning and preparation website by someone who calls herself Cruise Diva. She seems to have some very useful advice:

http://www.cruisediva.com/

The only other thing I will mention is that, when I travel, I try to confine myself to a very limited colour scheme, so that all my garments mix and match. That really helps a lot.

Best of luck.

P.S. If any weird question marks appear in my post, that's because I first typed it in Notepad and then copied and pasted it into a TripAdvisor reply. I've noticed that TripAdvisor does not import apostrophe marks and some other punctuation marks from Microsoft Word, so here's hoping for the best.

Sydney, Australia
3. Re: Vancouver/ Victoria/Rockies/Alaska/Niagra

Thank you very much guys. Star I had not really given much thought to the lost time traveling back and forth as I fly into vancouver I just startedd from there but I will reverse my ideas now and fly directly to victoria for the 2 days then back to vancouver by ferry then onto the rockies. thank you for that. My trip is about 26 days so far but can be extended as I am likely to make changes whilst I am over there. I am that sort of traveller. Don't particularly like organised tours I tend to go with the flow... I am soooooooo looking forward to this trip. I have looked up the hotels on this site and they look OK to me I just thought someone may have their own experiences of staying at them.

After both your suggestions I think I have a better idea for my wardrobe having to cover all aspects of the trip. My problem was the weight I am allowed to carry on the plane from Sydney but with careful mix and match I will be able to manage. Oh what the heck I can always buy what I don;t have in Canada...LOL

I will also go to the cruisediva site too thank you very much. I hope you enjoyed our hospitality when you travelled downunder and to the whitsundays

very muggy and 37c today . Even in the middle of winter where I live the lowest it gets down to is about 17c and that is a bl---dy cold day.

Once again thank you guys.