We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Butchart Gardens / Butterfly Gardens

Which Victoria hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Fremont, California
reviews: 1
Butchart Gardens / Butterfly Gardens

I'm planning a trip mid-week in August with my family of 5. (2 adults, 1 over 5, 2 under 5).

We're planning on going to both Butchart and the Butterfly garden.

I see a couple of options:

1. Public Transit - (slower but cheap, questionable about getting from Butchart to the Butterfly Garden)

2. CVS - Looks like they have a package, but includes the aquarium thus more expensive...

3. I read a few posts about maybe being lucky and finding a cheaper shuttle when I'm there or tour.

I was wondering if anyone has any advice? Trying to do this on a budget, and the 3 kids are expensive... :)

Thanks!

- Justin

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
reviews: 54
1. Re: Butchart Gardens / Butterfly Gardens

Hi Justin and welcome to the forums ~

You can take CVS Shuttle from in front of the Empress hotel to Butchart Gardens. You don't necessarily need the package. The service is straight to Butchart and back, includes the admission to Butchart. You can pay them just the shuttle cost if you want and pay your own admission, you just have to tell them that when you buy your ticket. Comparing CVS fare with admission to just their shuttle fare plus Butchart's own admission price would help decide on that.

There is another free HOHO shuttle that goes around to 5-6 attractions out by Butchart Gardens called Peninsula Attractions Shuttle. I'm not sure the schedule is very convenient but have a look in the About Us tab on the following website. Ignore the package costs, the shuttle itself is free.

http://www.peninsulashuttle.ca/index.html

Public transit takes an hour to get from downtown Vic to Butchart and yes, what to do about the distance between Butchart and Butterfly G.

Here is CVS' Butchart Express shuttle: www.cvscruisevictoria.com/butcharts.html

I see a link to a package there for a Butchart's and Butterfly G Combo, nothing to do with the Aquarium. The link is down the page, just above the "buy now" red square.

Fremont, California
2. Re: Butchart Gardens / Butterfly Gardens

The HOHO shuttle is interesting. Thanks, I hadn't found info about that. However, the time between Butchart and the Butterfly Garden is 40 minutes (with a free tour of the city) :)

On the CVS site, I do see only the 2 stops. It is 10$ cheaper (per person) than the other one I had found. It's under "SAVE on combination tour packages, and then Butchart and Butterfly". This is much more reasonable than the one I had found "Butchart Garden and Peninsula shuttle" which included:

Admission to the Butchart Gardens

Unlimited 1 day round trip shuttle service to Downtown Victoria

Unlimited shuttle access to the Saanich Peninsula on the Hop-On, Hop-Off Peninsula Shuttle

Admission to 1 of the following Attractions:

- Victoria Butterfly Gardens: An indoor tropical Gardens with exotic plants and animals

- SHAW Ocean Discovery Centre: Showcasing the Salish sea from seashore to seafloor

- Church and State Winery: Award-winning winery, offering wine tasting

- Sea Cider Farms: Award-winning organic ciders, offering a tour and a flight of Cider

The Butterfly Garden has a link to this bus map, but I don't see any close stops to the actual garden. Unless I'm missing something. (I may try to call them tomorrow and see if they have more info)

bctransit.com/regions/vic/schedules/map.cfm…

Thanks for the info!

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
3. Re: Butchart Gardens / Butterfly Gardens

Google maps has a brand new app for the iPad which is pretty nifty.

It says...walk from Butchart 700 metres (11 min). #75 bus for 4 stops (3 min). Walk 130 metres (2 min)

On a desk top you can use maps.google.com, with the bus icon selected to find transit info between two detinations.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
4. Re: Butchart Gardens / Butterfly Gardens

http://goo.gl/maps/YJ406

The above is google maps version set for mid week in August. It looks like the bus stop is right in the parking lot at Butchart's so no 700 metre walk.

Zoom the map to see things in detail. You will need $2.50 for adults, exact fare in coins on the buses. I think the kidlets might be free.

Edited: 2:57 am, July 23, 2013
Fremont, California
5. Re: Butchart Gardens / Butterfly Gardens

Nice.. Thanks.. I'll check it out. If I did my math right, the shuttle with paid admission actually comes out cheaper then if I bought admission myself. Finding that shuttle that only hit the two was the key. Thanks for all the info!

Victoria, BC Canada
Destination Expert
for Victoria
reviews: 13
6. Re: Butchart Gardens / Butterfly Gardens

The 75 doesn't always drive right into Butchart's. On the top of the map in your link, click view schedule and you'll see what times the bus goes down to the gardens. Mon - Fri rush hour it doesn't but it get's you really close. The same bus drives right past Butterfly Gardens. They are every half hour or so.

7. Re: Butchart Gardens / Butterfly Gardens

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, July 25, 2014