We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is this itinary possible?

Which Victoria hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
North Battleford...
reviews: 13
Is this itinary possible?

Hi

We will be arriving in Victoria on Aug 10 approx. 830 am. Renting a vehicle. Would like to do Butchart Garden and fireworks, downtown and possible tours. If we did things in Victoria for the Sat and Sun and then went to Salt Spring Island for Mon. Make our way to Tofino, Tues and back to catch plane Wed 7pm. Just wondering if this is too much? Or what would be some better plans.

Thanks

Penticton, Canada
reviews: 5
1. Re: Is this itinary possible?

HI

in my books this is really ambious - Salt Spring to Tofino is not the easiest to do with ferries and a real hard mountain road between Port Alberni and Ucluelet turnoff and another what feels like forever 40 km to Tofino. and then you turn around and drive back - we spent 3 nites in tofino area and did not see everything on the list.

Edited: 9:07 pm, July 03, 2013
Vancouver, Canada
reviews: 38
2. Re: Is this itinary possible?

Tofino isn't really a good one night destination, although some people do it. It takes the better part of a day to get in there, and to get out again, so you have no time IN Pacific Rim if you only go for one night.

What about the Pacific Marine Circle Route instead with a night out along somewhere between Sooke and Port Renfrew? Otherwise, if Tofino is a high priority, drop SSI.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
reviews: 38
3. Re: Is this itinary possible?

If you are going to take the ferry on the day of your flight, make sure you allow plenty of time. Ferries are usually reliable, but sometimes things go sideways or they are called to help a boater in distress and everyone is delayed to a certain degree.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
reviews: 14
4. Re: Is this itinary possible?

Gah, don't do that.

Scrap Salt Spring Island and just do Tofino, leaving the day you arrive for Victoria and to see Butchart Gardens and the fireworks. That's how realistic that itinerary is.

Alternative is to scrap Tofino, which is a shame, because in my opinion it's the most awe-inspiring destination on your list, but then again, I love nature, and Tofino (well, the Pacific Rim National Park, Ucluelet and that whole peninsula) is unrivaled for wilderness/nature experiences.

... BUT if you scrap Tofino, then you can focus on Victoria and maybe do a day trip to Salt Spring Island. Salt Spring is a big island with a lot of its attractions (parks, farms, artists studios - not beaches) are spread out, so having a day there means you'll see some of the island.

So in my opinion, focus on Tofino with a tiny bit of time in Victoria OR focus all your time in Victoria, with a tiny bit on Salt Spring. But don't include all three, or otherwise, extend your trip by another 3-4 days.

Edited: 2:21 am, July 04, 2013
North Battleford...
reviews: 13
5. Re: Is this itinary possible?

Hi again

Thanks for the help...we will rearrange our itinery...I think we will scrap SSI and plan for Tofino...

Nanaimo, Canada
6. Re: Is this itinary possible?

Ideally if you wanted to do all three, I would go to Salt Spring Island on Saturday that you arrive. That's when the big market takes place in Ganges town centre. There's a ferry that leaves Swartz Bay at 10am. If you could catch that ferry (35 minute sailing) you'd be able to get the highlights of SSI.

11am-12:30pm Ganges Market (artists and organic foods)

Grab something to eat 'to go' for a picnic lunch

12:30-1:30pm Drive up to Mt Maxwell lookout for your picnic. (gorgeous panoramic views of the islands)

1:30pm-2:30:pm Drive down below to Salt Spring Island Vineyards (their Blackberry Port is awesome!) and their neighbor Garry Oak Vineyards for some wine tasting.

2:30 pm drive back to the ferry to get in line to catch the 3:50pm sailing

5:30pm Arrive at Butchart Gardens

Have dinner there and tour the gardens

9:30pm Fireworks start

*Get the VIP Fireworks tickets in advance: www.butchartgardens.com/activities/fireworks

Check in late at your hotel

SUNDAY: Leave to drive to Tofino at 12 noon (perfect cause the bulk of the traffic will be driving back from Tofino!)

On the way there, stop at any of the following off hwy #4:

Coombs (Country Market and live goats on the roof)

Little Qualicum Falls

Cathedral Grove (a must see! 800 yrs old trees)

Sunday evening Enjoy the beaches and sunset and little town of Tofino.

Monday: Laze around on the beach, visit the two native galleries in Tofino (their the best). OR if you want to be on the water, go whale watching w/ Jamie's Whale Watching Station.

Tuesday morning: drive back to Victoria.

Victoria is a walking city and the highlights are all downtown or less than 15 minutes away from the centre. Choose a hotel downtown. My favourites: Fisherman's Wharf and the floating houses, buskers & people watching in the Inner Harbour, Driving along Beach Drive in Oak Bay, or walking the grounds of Beacon Hill Park.

These things I've listed in Victoria by the way are all FREE. Unless its your thing, I wouldn't get caught up in all the tourist traps: miniature world, undersea water gardens, wax museum...etc... If you get a rainy day, go to the Royal British Columbia museum. It's worth the price.

Whatever you decide, I hope that helps. :O)

7. Re: Is this itinary possible?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, July 10, 2014