We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

empress

Which Victoria hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Wilmington, Delaware
empress

is it worth the money to stay in the empress, and the tea

11. Re: empress

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 11:05 am, July 19, 2013
Vancouver BC
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
reviews: 99
12. Re: empress

I dunno you guys. The iconic Empress is an experience from the past. Sure there are better modern hotels. In NYC I'd say the 5th Avenue Grand Hyatt is better than the ancient Waldorf Astoria, but I'd choose W-A. The ancient Empress has a pretty successful history. Same for tea at the Empress. There is a reason it is expensive. There is a reason it is so popular. There is value in the memory.

Sechelt, BC
Destination Expert
for Sunshine Coast
13. Re: empress

If you are willing to pay big $$ for the experience than for you it's worth it. I would rather spend big $$ at Big Bad John's than tea at the empress. But for me Big Bad John's is worth it. No one can tell you whether it's worth it or not.

Victoria B.C.
reviews: 25
14. Re: empress

For someone who has lived in Victoria for 50 years and who is so opinionated about everything, you would think she could at least spell one of the most attractive tourist sites correctly...it's Butchart Gardens, not Butchard!

Dallas, Oregon
reviews: 270
15. Re: empress

We've had tea at the Empress and while it is "touristy," it is also an experience that is a part of British culture. We were longtime friends of a couple whose family roots in Victoria go back to the 1800's. He is now in his 80's -- dad was an editor at the Times-Colonist. She (now deceased) grew up with and played with the Butchart children in the pre-WWII years. When they were married, it was a notable event -- the cathedral bells were rung in their honor on their wedding day.

We visited them in their home several times through the years, and afternoon tea was a regular part of the day -- not quite as elaborate as the Empress', but usually with some kind of small sandwich and a few goodies from the Dutch Bakery. A couple hours later, we'd enjoy a gin and tonic before dinner -- no ice, as was their custom. That, we never got used to. LOL!

Victoria B.C.
reviews: 25
16. Re: empress

What a wonderful story Oregon John! Not many of us could match your memory of early Victoria! I've noticed that you have been a visitor to Victoria many times and I hope that you will continue to visit us!

Dallas, Oregon
reviews: 270
17. Re: empress

We fell in love with Victoria on our first visit in 1981 for our 10th anniversary (which was on Charles & Diana's wedding day, in fact). We've been back an average of once a year since then.

Met the couple referenced in my prior post on a cruise from Vancouver, BC to San Juan, Puerto Rico. We met as table-mates and "adopted" each other -- they had no children, and Mrs. OJ and I had both lost our fathers earlier. Like my Dad, Cedric was a reverend; his Dad was a newspaper editor as was I. Instant connection that has lasted for 30 years now.

Edited: 1:46 am, July 21, 2013
Victoria, Canada
reviews: 2
18. Re: empress

Oh my Gosh!!!

BUTCHART gardens Joan!!!!!

19. Re: empress

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 am, July 23, 2014