We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

empress

Which Victoria hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Wilmington, Delaware
empress

is it worth the money to stay in the empress, and the tea

Amsterdam, The...
1. Re: empress

You hear and see a lot of mixed opinions and reviews about Empress' famous afternoon tea. Never had the pleasure myself though.

A stay would be worth it only if you have a room with a view at Inner Harbour, I'd guess.

calgary
reviews: 2
2. Re: empress

Well if it's really important to you to be able to say you stayed there, then its worth it. If not, then there are a lot of nicer, more reasonable places to stay and places to have tea.

For teas:

Butchart Gardens

White Heather Tea Room

Murchies

Vancouver, Canada
reviews: 52
3. Re: empress

It depends on the room rate and how comfortable you are paying for overpriced tourist-trap experiences.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
reviews: 51
4. Re: empress

Hard to say. We don't know you, so we don't know if you would find it worth it.

Have a look at the reviews for tea at the White Heather which I have done and have written a review for.

tripadvisor.com/…REVIEWS

Victoria, Canada
reviews: 48
5. Re: empress

The tea at the Empress is outrageously expensive,, I would not do it or encourage any of my friends or relatives who are visiting to do it as I consider it tourist trapping.. , especially since to me its not about "Victoria" at all, most of us do not have tea,, we eat Asian food , Thai , Vietemese,Chinese, Japanese we drink Starbucks and Tim Hortons coffee , ... in fact I will be really really blunt,, "High Tea" is for tourists and grannies who wish to treat their grand daughters to a special time out with them.... its not about what we do at all...

Now, if you feel you really want to try a tea to in a nod to our British heritage,, suggest you at least try the one at Butchard Gardens or the White Heather Tea room..

As for hotel, I have stayed there three times .. ( yes, even though I live here, my hubby and I would take a weekend away from kids,, and once when we were having our bedrooms painted ) and its ok( we got special rates) ,,, but I like several other hotels better..

The Empress does have a lovely lobby and the Bengal Room IS very nice to have a drink,, we go there once every few months for a drink after dinner out.. its very British Raj and comfy( but hey a bit $$)

Victoria, BC Canada
reviews: 10
6. Re: empress

Stay at the Hotel Grand Pacific - next door to the legislature - less than one block from the Empress - new and beautiful... If you get a room in the front, your room will look over at the Empress and over the Inner Harbour. I did tea at the Empress a while back with friends... It was really nice, but only once at that price. Food was good, company was good the waiter was lovely and took our picture, but I would rather spend the tea money and go whale watching, zip line or out to Butchart Gardens.

Victoria, Canada
7. Re: empress

Agree with Denise, Hotel Grand Pacific is nice.

Florida
reviews: 4
8. Re: empress

Is the White Heather Tea Room withing walking distance from the Inner Harbor? Is there parking around the White Harbor?

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
reviews: 51
9. Re: empress

You could take a #2 bus, or take a #7 bus which changes its number to a #2 along the route, for 15 minutes to the White Heather. Go to the bus stop on Douglas just north of Belleville. It's a 45 minute walk one way. $2.50 exact fare in coins.

A car would take 15 minutes as well and there is easy parking in front of the White Heather.

Here's the map for public transit: http://goo.gl/maps/ighEJ

Victoria, Canada
10. Re: empress

No, while you could walk to White Heather, most people wouldn't its a long walk.. you could take a bus as pointed out,, or have tea at Butchards when you visit it ( and Butchard Gardens, while expensive etc, is worth seeing, I am not into gardening etc, but love visiting it every couple of years)