We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Victoria to Rockies

Which Victoria hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Hong Kong, China
reviews: 38
Victoria to Rockies

Hi All,

am planning to land in Vancouver spend 2 nights then take the car on the ferry to Victoria where we will spend 3 nights. thereafter will drive to the Rockies - (banff & Jasper)

a. From what I can see on the forums it takes about 4 hours to get from Victoria to Vancouver so once I get there what should be my first stop enroute to Banff so its not too long a day? Kamloops? Kelowna? or Hope? Will it be too long a drive starting form Victoria all the way to Kamloops or Kelowna? Should I be safe and stop at Hope or some point between Vancuver & Kamloops/Kelowna?

b. My plan was stop one night the carry on next day to Banff. Spend 3 nights at Banff drive up Icelands parkway to jasper spend 2/3 night then drive back to Banff or nearby (golden?) then drive on my way back to one more stop between that and Vancouver - stop the night 9any suggestions which one that should be ?)

Should I stop at Kelowna both ways? I quite like the idea of wine tours

Alternatively is kamloops a good place to stop the night?

then morning wake up and drive straight to Vancouver airport - I have a 1630 flight out of there back to Hong Kong.

Look forward to your replies

Regards

Michael

Vancouver, Canada
reviews: 53
1. Re: Victoria to Rockies

With that schedule, you don't really have time for wine tours or any other activities or attractions. Perhaps you are planning to get going at 8 am and not stop until 10 pm, in which case you might squeeze something in, but with only one night between the coast and the Rockies, I usually advocate that people head for Revelstoke by the fastest route, which gives you more time to stop and enjoy the scenery as you head to Banff the next day. Coming from Victoria, you have a couple of options. 1. Spend most of the day in Victoria but then head for a late ferry that night and get a hotel on this side of the water somewhere so that you can really get going in the morning. 2.Go for an early morning ferry from Victoria and head out along highway 10 and join highway 1 out in Langley. Hope is certainly doable, I might push through to Kamloops or even Salmon Arm in order to make the most of the following day.

Have you considered flying between Victoria and Calgary and then doing a one-way driving trip back to Vancouver from there? That would allow you to spend a couple of nights around Kelowna and enjoy the wineries in that area.

Edited: 1:43 pm, June 28, 2013
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
reviews: 54
2. Re: Victoria to Rockies

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g659487-i11598-k66…

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g154922-i80-k66152…

Vancouver, Canada
reviews: 41
3. Re: Victoria to Rockies

I always become nervous when visitors talk about driving from the BC interior to Vancouver International Airport to catch a plane, in particular on an international flight, later in the day. Here's a thread that discussed the issue and suggested returning closer to YVR the night before -

tripadvisor.com/…42431344

Now, granted the proposed trip in this thread was one month later than yours appears to be. However, there are points, in driving from either Kelowna or Kamloops, where you could be held up. We saw, for example, long-term road construction expanding Highway 1, between Langley and Abbotsford two weeks ago, that was causing the traffic to slow down (but not stop at that time). If at all possible, you should be close to Vancouver International the night before, as you would want to be at the airport shortly after noon, I would think.

Edited: 2:55 pm, June 28, 2013
calgary
reviews: 3
4. Re: Victoria to Rockies

I would either take the last ferry of the day over to Vancouver and start your drive from there; or make sure you're on the first ferry in the morning. I have caught the 0700 ferry and driven all the way to Revelstoke; it's a long drive but if you don't need to stop and see the scenery it can be done. No way would I drive from the interior to Vancouver on the day I was catching a flight - too many things that could wrong. Definitely stay in Vancouver (or at least Hope) the night before your flight home.

Hong Kong, China
reviews: 38
5. Re: Victoria to Rockies

Hi All,

thank you all for you replies. Am now considering the following : (please comment)

Day 1 arrive Vancouver 1:25 pm - pick up rental car - drive to ferry terminal take the 4 pm or so ferry to Victoria. Question : (is this doable) is still okay time to enjoy the ferry ride? Any idea how long would it take from Vancouver airport to the ferry terminal. Drive to hotel and rest.

Day 2 - all day in Victoria

Day 3 - in/around Victoria - take a late ferry to Vancouver side

Question : any suggestions - are there any decent motels or stops near ferry terminal or on the Highway t the Rockies close by?

OR

Day 3 stay the night in Victoria and early Morning take the ferry and drive 2-3 hours on the other side and then take a break?

Q : is this route then what is the first place to take this break? Hope?

Day 4: Drive between (vancouver motel ) or 9Hope) to next destination - either Salmon Arms/Kelowna stay 1 night

Day 5 - wine tour (if Kelowna) lake vsiist if Salmon arms and surroundings and make it by evening to Banff.

stay at Banff

Day 6 - explpre banff , lake louise etc

Day 7 Banff and surroundings

Day 8 Drive the Iceland Parkways to Jasper stay the night at Jasper

Day 9 Jasper and surroundings

Day 10 Jasper al day - afternoon drive the iceland parkways for return trip to Golden? Say the night.

Day 11 - drove on to spend the day on around/Salmon arms/Kelowna (depending on where we stopped the first time - is it good to stop boh ways at Kelowna? Much more to do there?

Day 12 Kelowna to Vancouver reach Vancouver little after lunch spend the hald fay around Vancouver

Day 13 morning in Vancouver and then afternoon flight back to HK.

Look forward to comments. Many thanks

Regards

Michael

Kelowna, Canada
6. Re: Victoria to Rockies

Hi Michael,

Sara here from Tourism Kelowna.

There is lots to do in Kelowna, and it is quite worthwhile to stop. With over 35 wineries in the area, you would have to spend weeks here to see them all! Wineries are dependent on your taste, whether you like the big well known wineries, or the small family owned and operated ones, you will not be disappointed. In addition, if you like fruit and you're coming in July and August, you are in the right place! The biggest fruits here: Cherries, Apples, Peaches and Apricots (all depending on when you are coming).

There is also some hiking, beautiful beaches, honey and lavender farms and so much more to see, that you will wish you had more than one day to see it all!

Hope to see you stop in Kelowna!

Victoria, Canada
Destination Expert
for Victoria, Port Angeles
reviews: 61
7. Re: Victoria to Rockies

Hi Michael, by now you have probably sensed that there are many strong opinions about the best way to achieve your particular objectives! which by the way are laudable.

Let's just hope that you will be back this way another time, long enough to see the best of Vancouver Island (not just Victoria), several days in Vancouver, the beautiful Kootenays, the Whistler Mountain area, the Gulf Islands, and on and on .... but this time, focus on your time in the Rockies, and minimize time elsewhere such as Okanagan wine tours, till next time. One suggestion: spend a night in Lake Louise rather than Golden. Kelowna would still be a comfortable drive for the next night. From there, return via the Coquihalla corridor for some more mountain-sighting. Or, stay overnight in Salmon Arm, then return via Kamloops and the Fraser Canyon, a very different kind of mountain drive.

You don't say when you are coming but presumably it will be summertime; you should have reservations as many places as possible in that case.

bon voyage!

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
8. Re: Victoria to Rockies

Day 1. Plan on the 6h00 ferry. You need up to 1 hour for Canadian Customs, up to 1 hour to arrange your car, 40 minutes to drive to Tsawwassen terminal, arrive at the terminal 1 hour in advance of sailing. And possibly a plane that arrives late.

Day 3. Visit Butchart Gardens in the morning, continue, to take the 2h00 ferry and drive to Hope for the night.

Day 4. Drive and sightsee via Kelowna to Revelstoke for the night. 5.5 hours to drive, so a winery tour is possible.

Day 5. Explore Revelstoke for the morning, drive to Field for the viewpoint for the Spiral Tunnels, stay at Banff.

Day 6-13 as is. Day 10, yes, stay at Golden.

Good that you are spending the night before your flight in Vancouver.

calgary
reviews: 3
9. Re: Victoria to Rockies

There is only a 0600 ferry on August 3 and 31; usually the earliest ferry is 0700.

bcferries.com/schedules/…tssw-current.php

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
10. Re: Victoria to Rockies

Looking at post 5, they're arriving at 1:25 at YVR, so hopefully after reading my Day 1 comments in post 8, they will know it's 6 pm, after the 4 ferry they have asked about.

Good point though. I should have added in pm. I didn't mean 0600 just 6h00.

Edited: 4:21 pm, June 29, 2013