We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to do in Victoria for 6 hrs

Which Victoria hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Torrance, California
What to do in Victoria for 6 hrs

HI everyone..

Im on a cruise with NCL and for some reason NCL decided to arrive at Victoria at 6pm and leave at midnight

Is there anything we can do during those 6 hrs specially since we are arriving at the port at 6pm?

any must see, eat or do things in Victoria?

thanks

Victoria, Canada
reviews: 46
1. Re: What to do in Victoria for 6 hrs

What day of week are you arriving? On Thursdays Fridays and Saturdays the Royal British Columbia Museum is open till 10 pm and IS worth visiting, its right by the Inner Harbour and Parliament Buildings so you can visit museum, wander the Inner Harbour area ( in decent weather there are street performers out and some people selling local crafts etc)

Also pop into the Empress Hotel ( its right there too!) check out the lobby pretty nice, and stop for a drink in the Bengal Room ( which is pretty cool place, done in British Raj style,complete with tiger head etc. lol )

Nanaimo, Canada
reviews: 25
2. Re: What to do in Victoria for 6 hrs

Are you not wanting to book any of the tours with the cruise line? Do they have a tour for Butchart Gardens? It is light out till nine thirty at night now, and then the gardens are quite pretty at night with all the lights. If a Saturday night, they have a great fireworks show as well.

Allen, Texas
3. Re: What to do in Victoria for 6 hrs

I don't know if it's the same sailing, but I must be on your cruise itinerary as well (departing Seattle Sept 1, here). I was going to post the same question, and it seemed almost silly to include this stop for anything but to make it "international"?

I was wondering how easy it is to get from the cruise ship docks to the inner harbor area and just wander about and pop into places, so the initial replies are nice.

Are there cabs that run to/from the cruise dock? Any idea how much the fare would be (approximately)?

-Duhg

Allen, Texas
4. Re: What to do in Victoria for 6 hrs

Oh, and yes, there are excursions from NCL for $79 to $99 per adult that include the gardens. I'd personally prefer to more cost effectively get to the right area and wander about on my own for such a short, last night...which IS Saturday, so some hints on good firework viewing spots with no admission cost would be a nice way to end the journey...

-Duhg

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
reviews: 39
5. Re: What to do in Victoria for 6 hrs

Hi duhgbert ~

Here's a map with some of the above locations showing in the left sidebar which match most of the balloon letters. It's about a 25 minute walk to walk from Ogden Point (pier) to the Inner Harbour. Lots of shops to browse in up Government St. A taxi would likely cost about $12-15.

http://goo.gl/maps/hZUAM

To get to Butchart and the fireworks takes 40 minutes by vehicle or tourist coach. The fireworks can only be seen on site with paid admission.

That international silly stop is American protectionism at work. American law decrees that only American flagged ships can sail from American port to American port. All foreign flagged ships are required to dock in a foreign port. They cannot sail directly between two American ports.

Allen, Texas
6. Re: What to do in Victoria for 6 hrs

Thanks for the link, info on Butchart, and the international cruising regulation lesson. That is interesting to know, but not surprising to hear...unfortunately!

-Duhg

Allen, Texas
7. Re: What to do in Victoria for 6 hrs

BTW, I did not mean to imply that Victoria is a silly place to stop, only that a 6pm to midnight port on the last night of a cruise merely 70 miles from "home" seemed silly just to call it international. Your lesson makes it clear why...I just wish we had more time to explore the city.

It seems very walkable, so I am thinking maybe we'll walk as far into town as we can/want and then cab it back to the ship after sampling the local fare! : )

-Duhg

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
reviews: 39
8. Re: What to do in Victoria for 6 hrs

I think you will enjoy a few hours in Victoria. I know you didn't mean Victoria is a silly place, but that stopping somewhere for 6 hours seems silly.

You can actually walk to the Inner Harbour mostly on the seawall along the edge of the entrance to the harbour. It can be found on the water side of the Laurel Point Inn but I think it must move to the sidewalk closer to the Inner Harbour when it gets to the Victoria Clipper terminal. I think you would enjoy those views. But nothing wrong with meandering along a residential street in James Bay.

Atlanta, Georgia...
9. Re: What to do in Victoria for 6 hrs

Butchart gardens???We have about 5-6hrs in Victoria should we trek out there??I'm sure its pretty but I didn't know if there were better places to spend our time.Also we do not have a car that day is there easy transportation out there?

Nanaimo, Canada
reviews: 25
10. Re: What to do in Victoria for 6 hrs

With only 5 or 6 hours, I think you would be better off just staying around downtown and the harbour. It takes close to an hour to get out to the Gardens on a bus. That doesn't leave much time for the Gardens. Of course, a taxi is another option.

When are you going to be in Victoria? Are you on a cruise? There is LOTS to see and do in the city, depending on your interests. The museum is wonderful, and it is right by the Parliament buildings. A walk along Dallas Road, or through Beacon Hill Park... or go shopping!