We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Seattle to Victoria - most flexible & efficient?

Which Victoria hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Saint Louis...
reviews: 1
Seattle to Victoria - most flexible & efficient?

Just booked my b-day trip to Victoria using miles, but didn't plan logistics from Seattle to Victoria. Flight arrives Sea-Tac at 1:25 - is this too late to get to Victoria the same day? Inbound, same dilemma. Flight departs Sea-Tac at noon. Is my only option to spend the night in Seattle each time - which limits my trip to four days in Victoria.

I know I did this backwards - it's my 1st trip ever to Victoria - simply didn't pay attention. (Solo traveler who loves to walk, likes privacy & (mostly) quiet would welcome hotel suggestions, as well) Thank you everyone.

Nanaimo, Canada
Destination Expert
for Nanaimo, Vancouver Island
reviews: 270
1. Re: Seattle to Victoria - most flexible & efficient?

You can easily get to Victoria on your first day. You wouldn't be able to take the Victoria Clipper as the last Seattle departure is 3 pm, too tight for you.

www.clippervacations.com/schedules-fares/

I would rent a car. You can then take one of 3 ferries. One from Port Angeles, Anacortes or from Tsawwassen. Have a look at the schedules below to see which you think works best for you.

http://cohoferry.com/main/?Fares

…wa.gov/Ferries/Schedule/ScheduleDetail.aspx…

bcferries.com/schedules/…tssw-current.php

I would leave the night before your flight and spend the night in Seattle. We love the Watertown Hotel in the University District. Free shuttle to and from downtown, to avoid parking dilemmas.

http://www.watertownseattle.com/

Lots of other choices though.

Saint Louis...
2. Re: Seattle to Victoria - most flexible & efficient?

Thank you so much Dave! I would really like to avoid renting a car (I'm not much of a driver even when I know where I'm going....) I've thought about flying to/from - but it's pricey. Thanks for the hotel recommendation too - when you say shuttle to downtown, does that mean to Sea-Tac? Sorry for all the questions. Obviously I'm not experienced at this, esp. alone. Thank you.

Nanaimo, Canada
Destination Expert
3. Re: Seattle to Victoria - most flexible & efficient?

Shuttle is from the hotel to a loop they do around downtown Seattle. The downtown area has lots of hills and expensive parking. Many hotels offer downtown shuttles.

From SeaTac you should take The Link, a light rapid transit train from the airport to downtown.

soundtransit.org/Schedules/Central-Link-ligh…

If you want to avoid hiring a car then maybe take a seaplane from downtown Seattle to Victoria and then the Clipper back. Think of the seaplane as a sightseeing excursion and a mode of transport.

http://www.kenmoreair.com/

Edit: just twigged on the fact you are solo. I would take the seaplane and clipper options if I was you.

Edited: 1:17 pm, June 12, 2013
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
reviews: 37
4. Re: Seattle to Victoria - most flexible & efficient?

IMO, you would be best to stay the first night in Seattle and the night before your flight, then take the Clipper for 3 hours direct to/from Victoria Harbour.

There is quite a bit of information for your enquiry on the Seattle Forum's Top Questions to the right of the page. Here is the Seattle Forum:

tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g60878-i74-Seattle…

Nanaimo, Canada
Destination Expert
5. Re: Seattle to Victoria - most flexible & efficient?

Kenmore Air shuttles depart 3 pm and 4 pm from SeaTac and connect you to their 4 pm and 5 pm flights to Victoria from Downtown Seattle. Flights are 45 minutes and you arrive at the dock in Victoria at 5 pm or 6 pm. Sounds very doable, to me, for a 1:25 pm flight arrival time.

Vancouver, Canada
reviews: 37
6. Re: Seattle to Victoria - most flexible & efficient?

Because you said you love to walk, I wanted to make sure you had a chance to discover these great parks

http://www.crd.bc.ca/parks/

Saint Louis...
7. Re: Seattle to Victoria - most flexible & efficient?

Thank you! I finally figured out how to get there - now the fun part. I really appreciate your advice!

Saint Louis...
8. Re: Seattle to Victoria - most flexible & efficient?

Thanks - that's exactly what I ended up doing. (Overnight in Seattle, then I can take the ferry the next day. I used FF miles for a Vic/Sea-Tac flight for the trip home.)

I appreciate the help!

seattle
Destination Expert
for Seattle
reviews: 83
9. Re: Seattle to Victoria - most flexible & efficient?

you could take the evening train to Vancouver. Very Scenic and relaxing. From the same station you should be able to get to Vancouver island. If the train leaves too late then the Amtrak bus has a stop at Richmond. The hotel there will take you to YVR where you can pick up a PCL coach to Victoria.. Spending the nite in Vancovuer also wouldn't be a bad idea.

Atlanta, Georgia
10. Re: Seattle to Victoria - most flexible & efficient?

Along the same line, we're going to do a day trip to Victoria from Vancouver. I have a rental car so I'm wondering if taking the car over from Vancouver is easy and inexpensive so that we have some transportation in Victoria to sightsee and get around. We'll only have about 5 hours in Victoria, so what are must sees?

Also, any gotchas for driving in Victoria? Thank you.