We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Victoria Trip: Got some questions

Which Victoria hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
here
Victoria Trip: Got some questions

ok, we will be staying at the Empress hotel for a family vacation. Been to the Museum in Victoria before so will probably skip it this time. We may hit Butchart Gardens and just heard about Beacon Hill Park. Based on the reviews, sounds like a place we should see.

Is Beason Hill Park

1. a public park? ie. free parking, no entrance fee?

2. Do you take your car there for the tour and stay inside your car or get out and walk?

What are some family friendly eateries close to the Empress? We will have a car with us so can drive and do pick ups for food as well. Not looking for fancy dining as, looking for family (kid) friendly food if I can call it that. Have GPS in the car too (and cell phone) so anywhere we have to drive, we can do it.

What cool things can we do as a family that is within walking distance of the hotel?

Also heard there is a fireworks show at Butchart on saturdays? Worth it to stay late with the family?

Just did a search on Yelp for nearby eateries from the hotel and did not come up with much. Don't mind driving if there is easy parking at an eatery that is a little further than walking distance from the hotel. Any other tips (eating or otherwise) would be great.

12 replies to this topic
Vancouver, Canada
reviews: 41
1. Re: Victoria Trip: Got some questions

Yes, Beacon Hill is a public park.

There is no "tour" of Beacon Hill Park. Drive ( or walk) there and just enjoy it.

There are countless restaurants within easy walking distance of the Empress unless you are looking for fast food junk.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
reviews: 37
2. Re: Victoria Trip: Got some questions

You park your car and get out and walk, and walk, and walk. Watch the grasses, wear socks, stay on the paths. Make sure you walk on Dallas Road for the view.

Milestones is across from the Empress. See the following map: Balloon C is a lounge in the Empress. Restaurants are all around.

http://goo.gl/maps/0Csxq

Park the car and walk, Victoria is about 1.5 square km big.

The Saturday night fireworks at Butchart get a huge crowd. They are very popular and people go early, by about 5 pm to visit the Gardens and stay for sunset.

Do have a look in the green navigation bar at the top of the page. Things to Do will give you lots of information about what to see and do in Victoria. Feed the seals at Fisherman's Wharf.

Vancouver, Canada
reviews: 35
3. Re: Victoria Trip: Got some questions

I like Fort Rodd Hill National Historic site and the Fisguard Lighthouse. I also like taking the pedestrian ferries around the harbour. For day trips, I like going out to the coast past Sooke, and maybe some kayaking on Brentwood Bay.

seattle
Destination Expert
for Seattle
reviews: 81
4. Re: Victoria Trip: Got some questions

behind the Empress you will find The Old Spaghetti "Factory a very popular family place with reasonable prices.

calgary
reviews: 2
5. Re: Victoria Trip: Got some questions

You can walk from the Empress to Beacon Hill Park, no need to drive and find a parking spot. There is a great petting zoo there for your kids and a drive-in where you can get really good burgers, etc. I believe it's called the Beacon Drive In. Take a drive around Dallas Road/Beach Drive; stop at Willows Beach for some beach time - they also have a great little tea house for good fast food. Fisherman's Wharf is full of places to eat at a reasonable cost; as well your kids can feed the harbour seals.

Do take in the fireworks at the Gardens, go out around 5:00, take a blanket put it on the ground with your stuff (pick up a picnic dinner) wander around the grounds and then sit back down at sunset to watch the show. Best one you'll ever see.

Edited: 7:53 am, June 06, 2013
toronto
reviews: 14
6. Re: Victoria Trip: Got some questions

wondering if you can see the fireworks from any other location or if you have to be right in Butchart Gardens?

calgary
reviews: 2
7. Re: Victoria Trip: Got some questions

No you can only see them from inside the Gardens; many of them are low to the ground. It is a show set to music and the best fireworks you'll see.

Victoria, Canada
8. Re: Victoria Trip: Got some questions

Since you have a car you could also check out the growing Food Truck Communitry in Victoria some favs of mine are below. If you go to their fb page and hover above the "LIKE" you can enable getting notifications from them. They mostly post about their location and specials so it won't be constantly alerting you.

https:/…LAuthentiquePoutineAndBurger

https://www.facebook.com/TacofinoVictoria

https:/…259151340867713

Something relatively new to Victoria is the Victoria Hippo Tours - A 90 minute tour of Victoria over land and water using their specially designed amphibious vehicles - http://www.victoriahippotours.com/

Dallas, Oregon
reviews: 255
9. Re: Victoria Trip: Got some questions

If you walk 2 or 3 blocks up Douglas (the street behind the Empress), turn right on Fort Street and you'll find the Dutch Bakery in the middle of the block. Besides the tempting array of pastries and chocolates in the front, there's a family-friendly old-style café/diner in the back section that's easy on the budget. Nothing fancy or trendy on the menu -- just plain good food like you'd fix at home.

here
10. Re: Victoria Trip: Got some questions

wow, great replies thanks everyone. I am creating a savable Google Map with all the suggestions from this thread. Looks very cool.

I will have my car with us so can drive around to explore too. Have any cool sights to check out?

By the way, I found a Save On Foods about 1.4 km so that looks good to get some groceries. Any other place that is convenient to park and buy some groceries that I should consider?

Reply to: Victoria Trip: Got some questions
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted