We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Parking around Inner Harbor

Which Victoria hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Tucson, Arizona
reviews: 54
Parking around Inner Harbor

We will be taking the ferry from Port Angeles to Victoria on a Thursday towards the end of August. We aren't staying in a downtown hotel - instead staying at the Ramada on Gorge Road East that has free parking. I would like to spend some time around the Inner Harbor before going to the hotel - not sure which ferry we'll be on so don't know what time we'll get there. Is there any parking available in that area? Are there parking lots that don't cost too terrible much or metered parking on the street? Do you think it will be hard to find someplace? It has been MANY years since we've been there and at that time parking was not a problem but I'm sure things have changed. Any help will be appreciated. We have to have the car with us because we're continuing on our trip from there.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
reviews: 37
1. Re: Parking around Inner Harbor

I think it will be busy at the end of August, especially if Labour Day is involved. Some streets in James Bay have street parking that is unrestricted and that area is only 5-15 minutes walk from the Inner Harbour. Otherwise street parking closer to the inner harbour will be either metred parking or no metres but restricted parking, often 2 hours.

You could go straight to the motel to park the car then take public transit downtown for $2.50 in coins. The #11 bus goes right by the Ramada. Here's the map: http://goo.gl/maps/n8iPq

Nanaimo, Canada
Destination Expert
for Nanaimo, Vancouver Island
reviews: 270
2. Re: Parking around Inner Harbor

There is a big parking lot on the water on Wharf Street across from Bastion Square. We usually park there when wandering around downtown. I don't recall it being expensive.

Vancouver, Canada
3. Re: Parking around Inner Harbor

There's street parking. If you go up behind the Legislature building or into Beacon Hill Park, its not a long walk back down to the Harbour.

Nanaimo, Canada
reviews: 25
4. Re: Parking around Inner Harbor

Another alternative would be the parking garages. There is one on Broughton Street. I like them as you just pay whenever you leave... no guessing how long you might be, or having to watch the time so you don't go over. And then I don't have to figure out how to use those new parking meters, or remember your parking spot number!

Victoria, BC Canada
Destination Expert
for Victoria
reviews: 12
5. Re: Parking around Inner Harbor

If you're going to park far away to get free parking, you can walk from the Ramada. I live a block away from the Ramada and it's a 20 minute walk to town from my place. You can take the Galloping Goose trail and cross the Johnson St bridge and follow the waterfront to the inner harbour. If that's too much walking you can take a Harbour Ferry from the Selkirk Landing right to the Inner Harbour. Or walk one way and ferry back.

If you are on a later ferry. Parking on the street is free after 6pm.

Tucson, Arizona
reviews: 54
6. Re: Parking around Inner Harbor

Thank you for all your help. I think we'll probably just go to one of the parking lots. Taking the bus would cost $10 roundtrip for the two of us so it shouldn't be much more than that to park in a lot and would save time. Walking from the Ramada would be too far for us but thanks for the suggestion.

Victoria BC
reviews: 1
7. Re: Parking around Inner Harbor

Longest free parking in the area is a lot in Beacon Hill Park, a 7-10 minute walk from the harbour, which allows 3.5 hours. If you arrive there at 2:30pm, you are set for the afternoon/evening.

Victoria, Canada
reviews: 3
8. Re: Parking around Inner Harbor

You can no longer drive your car in Beacon Hill park. Along Douglas between Michigan and Toronto street is school pick up zone parking when school is in session and outside of that time it's free game!

You could also drive into James Bay and park in the Thrifty's parking lot and walk to the harbour in less than 10 minutes. There are also reasonably priced parkades located at the Bay Centre, Johnson street (just above Douglas) as well as Yates.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
9. Re: Parking around Inner Harbor

Beacon Hill Park is implementing a pilot project for alternate use of some roads. Cars will still be allowed on a number of roads in the park. Here is an article, with a link to a map, about the trial changes in the park.

victoria.ca/EN/…beacon-hill-park.html

Victoria, Canada
reviews: 8
10. Re: Parking around Inner Harbor

If it were me I would use the pay parking at one of the lots just off Wharf Street. You will be right by the Inner Harbor. It's not cheap parking, but not ridiculously expensive either.