We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Whale watching questions????

Which Victoria hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
san antonio
reviews: 20
Whale watching questions????

We are so excited to be visiting this July. We are spending three days and want to do a whale watching trip. I have read most links about whale watching on this site. But, I'm a little confused! (We will also be spending three days in Vancouver.) Is it true that taking a tour from Victoria is closer proximity to possible sightings of whales? With that in mind, do you have a favorite tour company? We will be staying at the Best Western Plus in Victoria. Thanks for any help you may be able to provide!

4 replies to this topic
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
reviews: 37
1. Re: Whale watching questions????

Yes, the whales are closer to Victoria. They hang out in the Stait of Juan de Fuca so boats from Vancouver have to motor about 2 hours to get to those waters. That can take most of a day, whereas the tours out of Victoria take more like 3.5 hours.

I've been out with Spring Tide and had a good time. Check out my review. All the companies are competitive and the communicate with each other out on the water so all the boats can get to the whales.

Have a look at the reviews. Go to Things to Do in the green navigation bar up top. Then open the tab that says Activities. The 3-5 companies are all there. Choose the one that appeals to you.

Toronto, Canada
reviews: 416
2. Re: Whale watching questions????

Much closer out of Victoria and on the ferry over to Victoria you may get lucky and see a few whales as well....

toronto
reviews: 14
3. Re: Whale watching questions????

Any whale tours/sightings out of Tofino area?? thanks.

Nanaimo, Canada
4. Re: Whale watching questions????

if you decide to go whale watching from tofino I would recommend Jamie's Whale Watching tours. Last time I went with them the boat had to come to a complete stop because we were completely surrounded by grey whales. it was awesome!

Reply to: Whale watching questions????
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted