We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Victoria BC Whale Watching with a toddler?

Which Victoria hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Banff, Canada
reviews: 59
Victoria BC Whale Watching with a toddler?

Hi there...wondering if there's any whale watching tours in Victoria, BC I can do with a toddler? Obviously I don't want to take her on a zodiac..I want it to be safe for her! She's great at sitting, loves boats, etc, but need it to be safe :)

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
reviews: 51
1. Re: Victoria BC Whale Watching with a toddler?

Hi there,

Have you had a chance to look in the Things to Do up in the green navigation bar? There are 4-5 whale watching tours listed there, under "Activities" and you can then open their website links to check out their boats and their age limits if they have them. I went with Spring Tide in their large boat. It was a good experience.

Activities: tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g154945-Activiti…

Edited: 12:33 am, May 16, 2013
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
reviews: 13
2. Re: Victoria BC Whale Watching with a toddler?

Zodiacs are safe! :) I know before I worked for a whale watching company (this was 10 years ago), I used to think zodiacs were inflatable rafts that are used for river rafting, which isn't the case at all. Zodiacs are used by the coast guard because they're more stable than regular boats. Safety is definitely not an issue with them. However, what is an issue is age restrictions. I don't think most whale watching companies would allow a toddler on an open zodiac because you're legally required to wear a life suit (which keeps you warm, dry, and simultaneously works as a floatation device), as well, she'd have to be able to sit upright on her own on a bench-like seat for 3 hours, and it could just be that she'd be too small for the zodiac's infrastructure, that's all. That could be the "safety" issue, which perhaps is what you originally meant. But I do need to speak up and reiterate that zodiacs are not in any way more dangerous than any other boat.

There are certainly companies that offer non-zodiac tours. They're not any more safe, it's just a different style of ride... but they still might have age restrictions. I'd contact the various Victoria companies directly to see what their minimum age requirements are, and check out the different vessels they offer.

Edited: 5:48 am, May 16, 2013
3. Re: Victoria BC Whale Watching with a toddler?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, May 18, 2014