We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Victoria to Campbell River - Stops

Which Victoria hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
toronto
reviews: 15
Victoria to Campbell River - Stops

Will be doing the drive and looking for a nice place for quick lunch - nothing too expensive - preferably on water...also looking for a good place en route to stop for BC wine shopping??

Victoria, Canada
1. Re: Victoria to Campbell River - Stops

A great place just over the Malahat from Victoria is the Rock Cod cafe in Cowichan Bay. It is off the Trans Canada Highway but follow the signs to Cow Bay once you go thru' Mill Bay.

Great fish and chips.

Enjoy your time on our beautiful island.

Victoria, Canada
2. Re: Victoria to Campbell River - Stops

A great place just over the Malahat from Victoria is the Rock Cod cafe in Cowichan Bay. It is off the Trans Canada Highway but follow the signs to Cow Bay once you go thru' Mill Bay.

Great fish and chips.

Enjoy your time on our beautiful island.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
reviews: 54
3. Re: Victoria to Campbell River - Stops

Dinghy Dock Pub off Nanaimo on Protection Island

http://www.dinghydockpub.com/index.php

Victoria, Canada
Destination Expert
for Victoria, Port Angeles
reviews: 59
4. Re: Victoria to Campbell River - Stops

Cowichan Bay is great but perhaps you will want to be a bit further along before stopping for lunch. For example, the Crow & Gate Pub tripadvisor.ca/Restaurant_Review-g154935-d76… -- I have not been but it has a good reputation. I think it overlooks the strait. Saltair Neighbourhood Pub tripadvisor.ca/Restaurant_Review-g154926-d76… is well known but not as well rated.

Here are a couple of winery maps of the Cowichan Valley: …cowichan.net/userfiles/…WineBrochureweb.pdf and http://www.vancouverisland.com/Maps/?id=83 . Pretty much all of the wineries shown are worthwhile. I like Cherry Point Estate Wines & Bistro tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g154944-d2… -- you could do lunch there too. It is near the strait but not on it. Merridale Estate Cidery http://www.merridalecider.com/ is an interesting visit and also a lunch possibility, but i can't find it reviewed in TA.

Enjoy!

toronto
reviews: 15
5. Re: Victoria to Campbell River - Stops

Thanks very much...getting my maps out now! I will also be asking in the coming weeks about info on Tofino - we're staying in Ucluelet for 5 days and are interested in activities - hiking, wineries, restaurants, water activities - ie. whale watching, canoeing etc. We will then spend 3 days in Victoria so will look for info for that time too...But first I need to read all info already offered on this board before asking for more help!

Port Moody, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver, British Columbia
reviews: 90
6. Re: Victoria to Campbell River - Stops

Crow and Gate has good food and a nice garden setting but doesn't overlook the water.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
reviews: 54
7. Re: Victoria to Campbell River - Stops

Merridale: tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g1392612-d…

Merridale restaurant: tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g1392612-d…

Penticton, Canada
reviews: 5
8. Re: Victoria to Campbell River - Stops

to get the Campbell river you have 2 choices of highways

the Island Highway #19 which is a 4 lane at 110 km posted and

then you have the "oceanside drive" which is highway 19a which meanders along the water but you seldom see the water. which is a very slow route.

for lunch in Comox we found the Blackfin Pub with a view of the Marina; best crispy fries ever with ordering the fish and chips. it is a 10 min drive off the route to Campbell river but worth it. and, if you take that route swing by the Comox Air Force base which has a good museum with some plane on display outside. see this map. http://goo.gl/maps/QV03a

Edited: 8:41 pm, May 26, 2013
Parksville, Canada
reviews: 18
9. Re: Victoria to Campbell River - Stops

If you are taking the coast road, 19A, stop in Qualicum Beach at the Shady Rest. (shadyrest.ca and they also have a FB page) They have a pub side (left) and restaurant side (right). Identical menus. SMACK dab on the water. Can't get more waterfront than that. Slightly more than 1/2 way on your drive. Recommend taking 19A the entire way if you aren't in a rush.

Parksville, Canada
reviews: 18
10. Re: Victoria to Campbell River - Stops

PS- consistently good food and service at 'the Shady".