We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

from victoria to portland coho vs sydney-anacortes

Which Victoria hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Comox, Canada
reviews: 184
from victoria to portland coho vs sydney-anacortes

Coming down island then going via ferry to Washington state to go to Portland.

I was all set to reserve a spot on the Wash ferry when I noticed the times of the Coho.

It appears that distance to Portland once you cross is similar for both. I like the idea of getting in earlier to the motel but my concern is

1. Someone I know said there was some weird loading system on the Coho, something about having to back up your car.

2. Talk of cars being parked really close and hard to get out.

Otherwise my hotel is on Menzies so yes the Coho makes more sense but the loading issues concern me.

Should I really be concerned about the Coho?

Thanks

Dallas, Oregon
reviews: 266
1. Re: from victoria to portland coho vs sydney-anacortes

No, you don't back your car in to any of the ferries. On about 75% of our previous 32 trips to Victoria, we have taken the BC Ferries between Swartz Bay and Tsawassen on the mainland. The ferries are twice as big so you almost always will get aboard if you're there within 15 minutes of departure time (we have never failed to get on the next ferry leaving), and during the summer season, they leave every hour, compared with 4 or fewer daily crossings at the other sites. Costs are virtually identical.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
reviews: 49
2. Re: from victoria to portland coho vs sydney-anacortes

These reviews for the Blackball Coho Ferries to Port Angeles may help you.

tripadvisor.com/…REVIEWS

And the WA State Ferries to Anacortes:

tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g60878-d56…

Comox, Canada
3. Re: from victoria to portland coho vs sydney-anacortes

thanks folks I am used to BC ferries. Only took the Anacortes one as a foot passenger. It was my financial advisor that mentioned something about the loading on the Coho that concerned me.

Victoria, Canada
Destination Expert
for Victoria, Port Angeles
reviews: 54
4. Re: from victoria to portland coho vs sydney-anacortes

i have not traveled on the Anacortes ferry so can't comment on loading there. BC Ferries tend to leave quite a bit of space between vehicles (and as a result, leave people and revenue behind). Blackball (Coho) does pack them in more closely but there is still always adequate room to move between vehicles. I have driven onto the Coho dozens of times, and have had to back up maybe once, when they fit in the last few vehicles for a full load. But you never have to back on to the ferry!

Comox, Canada
5. Re: from victoria to portland coho vs sydney-anacortes

Thanks I just ran into a neighbour at the store and turns out he uses the Coho often. So think I will do it.

Now I understand you have to be there 90 minutes before. How much earlier should I be to be at the front of the line?

Victoria, Canada
Destination Expert
6. Re: from victoria to portland coho vs sydney-anacortes

in the winter there is only one ferry a day so it is highly advisable to make a reservation since otherwise you might have to wait overnight.

in midsummer there are multiple sailings but a reservation is still a good idea. otherwise you would have to be there many hours beforehand ... so you might show up around 0900 for a chance to get on the 1030 sailing, and if not then would be reasonably likely to get on the 1500 sailing. we often call them -- (250) 386-2202 -- to find out whether traffic is heavy or light and whether reservations are building up for the sailing we would prefer to take.

Comox, Canada
7. Re: from victoria to portland coho vs sydney-anacortes

Thanks Tennis, they have it online now, I will reserve all other accomodation is booked. If u show a reservation assume u are directed to a different line. Any benefit to showing u earlier than 90 minutes if u have a reservation?

Victoria, Canada
Destination Expert
8. Re: from victoria to portland coho vs sydney-anacortes

yes, different line, so no advantage to arriving earlier unless say you would like to leave your vehicle in line and then go up to Belleville Street for lunch ....

Comox, Canada
9. Re: from victoria to portland coho vs sydney-anacortes

Ok thanks will have included breakfast at Embassy hotel, taking the 1030 am one

10. Re: from victoria to portland coho vs sydney-anacortes

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, May 15, 2014