We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

one day car rental in victoria vs. taxi cabs

Which Victoria hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
julie1218
reviews: 1
one day car rental in victoria vs. taxi cabs

this is a weird choice, but i really think it's best for us. we don't want to do public transport.

we are 5 adults, 2 kids, so that means 2 cabs as far as i can tell. we need to go from ogden point to westshore area (visit friends who do not own a car from 11 am to noon ish). we then need a ride back from westshore to the inner harbor to finish our day sightseeing (from noon ish to 3 pm). i see my costs being:

$8.00 for 1 person to go from ogden point to budget car rental via taxi

$80 for car rental all day (already reserved but not paid for)

free to use rental car to take other 6 in party to/from cruise ship

$8.00 for 1 person to go from budget to ogden

total $96.00 plus maybe parking at harbor? or return car before going to harbor and all taxi/pedicab back to boat?

thoughts?.

SE Ontario
reviews: 7
1. Re: one day car rental in victoria vs. taxi cabs

I've read your other post on this topic as well, and I have to wonder why it is your non-driving friends don't come downtown to see you, rather than you hiking all the way out to see them, at great cost, for an hour... howver it's none of my business so enough about that.

I'm guessing the high cost of the rental is due to it being a van (to accomodate your large group) ... have you checked with other agencies? For example, Enterprise has a downtown location, and would likely come to pick you up at the port. Avis also has a downtown location.

Remember you will have to add taxes to the vehicle rental, which may push that $80 up over $100.

Once you are in downtown, you really don't need the vehicle.

I'd check on pricing on other agencies, and then consider again whether a cab might make more sense.

Edited: 9:13 am, May 11, 2013
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
reviews: 38
2. Re: one day car rental in victoria vs. taxi cabs

$50 for a taxi one way to Westshore in Langford and 30 min. Maybe your friends are not too mobile so couldn't take the bus into town to meet you.

I can assure you that this visit will take the better part of an hour just for travel and I think the 12 noon expectation is not realistic. But either taxi or rental, that many people will cost you. I think you would find it more realistic to include having lunch with your friends and take your time. Then fill out your time with a stroll on the causeway at the Inner Harbour. Otherwise, drop the visit and concentrate on experiencing 3-4 attractions in Victoria.

You might even find a middle ground. Meet at Spinnakers for brunch/lunch.. You could take the little Victoria harbour ferry across the harbour and they could take a taxi to meet you. $30. 20 minutes.

Songhees has a beautiful seawall to walk along the harbour's edge.

Victoria, BC Canada
Destination Expert
for Victoria
reviews: 12
3. Re: one day car rental in victoria vs. taxi cabs

I know you said you don't want to do public transit but you don't say why. We have a really great transit system in Victoria and it will get you just about anywhere for $2.50 per person. That's $17.50 for all 7 of you one way. There is a bus (#50) that goes from downtown out to the Westshore mall in Langford.

Renting a car for two hours just to go to Langford seems like a very expensive visit. You would probably want to return the car after your hour in Langford as parking downtown would be expensive and you really don't need the car. You won't have time to go anywhere else in the car either.

As for renting vs taxi, for 7 of you, renting would be cheaper as you will need two taxi's or a limo to fit all of you.

4. Re: one day car rental in victoria vs. taxi cabs

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 am, May 15, 2014