We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

4 hours of free time-just do inner harbor/government st?

Which Victoria hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
julie1218
reviews: 1
4 hours of free time-just do inner harbor/government st?

we are 5 adults, ds11 and dd9 docking from a disney cruise just for the day.

our cruise ship docks at 815 am and leaves at 4 pm. we are meeting friends at 11 am who do not have a car, so we will have to take a taxi about 20 minutes one way. i'm thinking by the time we wake up, get ready, and get off the boat, that we will end up going straight to meet our friends at 11 am without time for sightseeing prior. we will stay at friends' home til noon, and then we will come back to the inner harbor area.

the ship leaves at 415 pm, that gives us less than 4 hours to explore the inner harbor and government street and feed the seals. i'm thinking that is all we will have time for in that 4 hours. no time for buchart gardens. seems either-or to me. thoughts?

also, will the summer street vendors be out yet on government street?

and last, should we simply take a cab to our friends' home? bus seems complicated and takes longer. then, take a cab back to inner harbor. then take a pedicab or rickshaw or something back to the cruiseboat?

thank you!

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
reviews: 39
1. Re: 4 hours of free time-just do inner harbor/government st?

It's very likely that you will have to be back on your ship closer to 3 pm, if they sail at 4h15. Best to check on that with Disney.

No time for Butchart (pronounced Butch - art), lots of time for the Inner Harbour, Beacon Hill Park, Royal BC Museum and/or a harbour ferry cruise up to the entrance to the Upper Gorge.

<<also, will the summer street vendors be out yet on government street?>> Maybe, when are you going to be in Victoria?

Taking a cab: there will be plenty of people lined up to take the "next" cab. It would probably be the fastest overall, unless your friends will come to pick you up in their car. Don't know where your friends live (neighbourhood, intersection?) so can't really advise very well on that.

Nanaimo, Canada
Destination Expert
for Nanaimo, Vancouver Island
reviews: 270
2. Re: 4 hours of free time-just do inner harbor/government st?

I would take cabs in all directions. You will have such a short amount of time to walk around the Inner Harbour and down Government Street. I would definitely include the Royal BC Museum as the displays will be interesting to all your family.

julie1218
reviews: 1
3. Re: 4 hours of free time-just do inner harbor/government st?

Will there be cabs that are vans---can seat 7? Likely? Unlikely?

Take credit cards? Likely? Unlikely?

Victoria, Canada
reviews: 3
4. Re: 4 hours of free time-just do inner harbor/government st?

You can request a van that takes more passengers than just 4 (not exactly sure about 7) and yes all of the cabs that I've taken in Victoria have accepted credit cards as well as debit cards.

My suggestion would be to have your friends meet you somewhere downtown for lunch instead of you going to them.

4 hours is a good amount of time to check out inner harbour. July 19-28 is the Victoria Buskers Festival which is quite a treat. Lots of vendors are already out along the causeway. Victoria is a very walkable city and downtown is quite small, jam packed, but distance wise very reasonable for anyone to walk.

You will definitely not be able to fit in Butchart Gardens, just getting there and back will be about 1.5hours

While the museum is not a large museum, you definitely need a couple of hours to see it all. Beacon Hill park is within walking distance of downtown (less than 10 minutes).

I think it would be ideal for you to narrow down how many things you want to fit in so that you're not sacrificing enjoying yourself to rush off to the next destination.

Victoria, Canada
reviews: 46
5. Re: 4 hours of free time-just do inner harbor/government st?

Take the kids to the Museum my kids loved it , and have been many time over the years.. its a great way to get an easy overview of some parts of our culture, its not boring or stuffy,, promise. We can get through it in hours or so, kids seem to like to rush from next neat thing to next neat thing,, and then spend time wandering inner harbour, on a nice day there will be street merchants and street performers out..

I have no idea where you friends live, but frankly, unless its a nursing home and they are infirm I too would ask them to meet you downtown!!!

Victoria, Canada
reviews: 46
6. Re: 4 hours of free time-just do inner harbor/government st?

BTW Where do friends live ,, it can take 20 minutes to get to some places, you really want to spend 40 mins. commuting for a 60 minute visit...

7. Re: 4 hours of free time-just do inner harbor/government st?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, June 19, 2014