We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Just Whistler?

Which Victoria hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Hong Kong, China
Just Whistler?

Hi

We will have 5 days spare after a cruise to Alaska. We will already spend 3 days before the cruise in Vancouver. Should we spend the 5 days in Whistler or should we do 2-3 days Whistler and 2 days somewhere else - like Salt Spring or Vancouver Island? We have 3 children under age 10.

Thanks so much.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
reviews: 54
1. Re: Just Whistler?

Welcome to the Victoria forum, Travel ~

I have a question to try to clarify your question. You are on the Victoria Forum. Are you actually disembarking in Victoria, BC? I'm pretty sure you mean Vancouver. Perhaps you could confirm where you are disembarking the ship. And this will be in July?

I think you could easily spend 3 nights in Whistler which would give you 2 full days. There's enough to do there for 2 days. I would also suggest to spend your last night before your flight in Vancouver. Travelling across from Vancouver Island on the ferry on day of travel is not the best idea. So that leaves 1 night spare. I actually think you could spend that one day very well in Vancouver as you spent only 3 days pre-cruise.

If you could tell us a bit about your interests, what you like to see and do when you visit a new place. That would help pinpoint a destination that would satisfy those needs.

Vancouver, Canada
reviews: 46
2. Re: Just Whistler?

Will you have a car? How far do you want to drive in a day? How much time do you want to spend driving vs. time spent at a location? I don't think I'd spend all 5 days at Whistler myself, but I like to tour.

vancouver
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
3. Re: Just Whistler?

+1 on not spending 5 days in Whistler

Edited: 11:18 pm, May 08, 2013
Nanaimo, Canada
Destination Expert
for Nanaimo, Vancouver Island
reviews: 289
4. Re: Just Whistler?

Personally, I would give Whistler a miss unless there is something you really want to see and do there. I would take the ferry to Vancouver Island. Go to Parksville and stay a 2 or 3 days on the beach. Then head down to Victoria for the remainder of your time. With kids under 10 I think they'll enjoy the beach environment and then the stuff in Victoria like whale watching, Royal BC Museum, kite flying, fish and chips ect.

Hong Kong, China
5. Re: Just Whistler?

Thank you very much everyone. Apologies for being vague. Disembarking in Vancouver early August. I'd prefer more time at location rather than driving. I guess I didn't want to pack and unpack and cart kids around too much (including an infant) but it seems like 5 days in Whistler is not recommended. I haven't done any Victoria research so will start doing some now! The Museum sounds fantastic. I figure we can get our whale watching done in Alaska.

Nanaimo, Canada
Destination Expert
for Nanaimo, Vancouver Island
reviews: 289
6. Re: Just Whistler?

Good idea Travel_with.... Do a bit of research and come back to the forum with an itinerary of the things you are interested in doing and then the volunteers on this site will have better information to help you make some final decisions.

www.frommers.com/destinations/victoria/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MCMU-_TVkEA

7. Re: Just Whistler?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, May 11, 2014