We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transportation to and from Victoria

Which Victoria hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Minneapolis
reviews: 1
Transportation to and from Victoria

We are planning a trip to Victoria via Seattle end of August, beginning of September. Is it best to book the Victoria Clipper and Kenmore Air now, i.e., are there better prices if we book in July or August and if so would there be a problem with reserving a seat?

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
reviews: 54
1. Re: Transportation to and from Victoria

Hi Quezy09 ~

i doubt there will be sales or special prices in high season. It's early days to buy a Clipper ticket. If it were me, I would book tickets closer to the end of July for end of August. Kenmore Air is one of those things where you would want to book as soon as you know your dates. If you book a fully refundable fare, no worries, it would be cancellable if something went sideways. It's Labour Day weekend here too, so travel might be busier than usual.

Victoria, Canada
Destination Expert
for Victoria, Port Angeles
reviews: 59
2. Re: Transportation to and from Victoria

i have heard that Kenmore has weekly last-minute specials but have never found them online.

Kenmore/Clipper now offer a package at kenmoreair.com/Sea-Sky-Seattle-Victoria-Kenm… that flies you one way and catamarans you the other way. Can't tell if this would actually save money vs separate bookings, so check it out.

You should have no weather problems at the end of August ... unless a seaplane terminal gets fogged in, which is a pain if it happens, as who knows when the fog will lift. It might be a good idea to fly the first leg. Then if it is fogged in, you can switch to the Clipper, and hopefully fly back without problems. My last Kenmore trip was fogged in, and after several subsequent flights were cancelled they just zipped us down to the Clipper terminal, and credited us generously for the fare difference :-)

Minneapolis
3. Re: Transportation to and from Victoria

Unfortunately, we have to fly back to Seattle as we have a 1:00 pm flight and the earliest ferry is 11:20 am so not an option. Do you think we would be better off taking Alaska Airlines direct to Seattle or leave a day early to ensure we don't miss our flight?

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
4. Re: Transportation to and from Victoria

You could take Alaska from Victoria to Seattle as long as you book with a good amount of connection time at Seattle. The poorest choice would be to buy a ticket separate from your flight out of Seattle. If you miss your flight out of Seattle, you will have to repurchase at full price. The best choice would be to add the Vic-Sea flight to your existing ticket so that you are doing the whole trip home on one ticket. Then if you miss your Seattle flight, the airline is responsible for sending you onward on a later flight.

Otherwise, get to Seattle the night before. You will need to check in at least an hour ahead, probably more, so you won't have any time to dilly dally on the morning of your flight.

Victoria, Canada
Destination Expert
for Victoria, Port Angeles
reviews: 59
5. Re: Transportation to and from Victoria

Right, so ideally go YYJ to SEA Alaska Airlines 23831 Operated by Horizon Air dep YYJ 8:35 am arr SEA 9:15 am (I used August 31 as a date to find flights).

this has the additional advantage of taking you directly to SeaTac where your flight home will depart (Kenmore flies to Lake Union from Victoria), and will not be affected by weather.

Minneapolis
6. Re: Transportation to and from Victoria

I think we will leave Victoria the day before, take a leisurely clipper ferry back to Seattle and stay overnight in the downtown area. Like to keep it as stress free as possible....don't want to have to depend on the weather for our transportation out of Victoria. Any suggestions for a hotel/restaurants in the downtown area? We are an active middle aged couple and want to make the most out of our brief visit to Seattle.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
7. Re: Transportation to and from Victoria

Good choice. Probably best to ask about Seattle hotels on the Seattle Forum.

The link is here: tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g60878-i74-Seattle…

8. Re: Transportation to and from Victoria

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, April 13, 2014