We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vancouver island & Vancouver city

Which Victoria hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Chicago
reviews: 1
Vancouver island & Vancouver city

My husband and are planning a trip to begin in Seattle (2 nights) , one night in Woodenville and then we have 5 more nights before we fly back home from Seattle. Any recommendations how the too use our time? Where should we take a ferry to go to Vancouver island? I am not sure how many days should we stay in Vancuver City and on the island.

I would relly appreciate suggestions. We are going at the end of August.

Toronto, Canada
reviews: 621
1. Re: Vancouver island & Vancouver city

I'd say 2 days on Vancouver Island, three in Van-City...

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
reviews: 54
2. Re: Vancouver island & Vancouver city

Welcome to the Forum Jennie ~

The Seattle Forum's Top Questions to the right, have an article outlining all the ways you can get to either Victoria or Vancouver. Here is the Seattle Forum:

tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g60878-i74-Seattle…

It looks like you have 2 nights or 1 full day to spend in Victoria and 3 nights or 2 full days in Vancouver. My suggestion would be to look at the "Things to Do" in the green navigation bar for this forum (Victoria) to see what things you would find appealing to do. Then do the same for the Vancouver forum. Figure out if you will actually have enough time to do everything. You could easily spend 4 nights in Vancouver alone and save yourself all the ferry fares.

If you were to consider just doing Seattle and Vancouver, you could do it all without a car. Amtrak Cascades, an easy and scenic 4 hours with no hassles at the border to Vancouver, 4 nights in Vancouver and return. You might consider Seattle to Victoria, with a 3 hour catamaran pax-only trip on the Victoria Clipper to Victoria, rent a car there and spend 4 nights: 2 full days in Victoria and 1 full day to rent a car and drive the Pacific Marine Circle Route west to Port Renfrew and back, 2.5 hours one way, stops extra. Plenty of places to walk and sights to see along the way.

So with this idea, you could do 1 night Woodenville, 3 nights Seattle, 4 night Victoria. But you'd want to check the Clipper schedule carefully as you would want to be sure to make your flight out of Seattle. I don't usually favour travelling on any of the ferries on day of a flight out. Much better peace of mind to be in your departure city the night before your flight. Both Vancouver and Victoria are easy to walk around and public transit is good. Parking is expensive and some hotels charge $30 a night.

Chicago
3. Re: Vancouver island & Vancouver city

Thank you for your quick reply. We will be driving from Woodinville to Vancouver. Where should we board a ferry to go to Vancouver island?

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
4. Re: Vancouver island & Vancouver city

You catch the ferry from Tsawwassen Ferry Terminal to Swartz Bay Ferry Terminal. The route looks like this:

http://goo.gl/maps/anW6f

www.bcferries.com

Edited: 10:38 pm, April 09, 2013
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
5. Re: Vancouver island & Vancouver city

I will also mention that Vancouver Island as a destination is quite big. It takes 7 hours to drive from south to north and 3 hours to drive from east to west. It's about 1.5 times larger that your state of New Jersey. With your short time, Victoria would very likely be the best location to head for.

Chicago
6. Re: Vancouver island & Vancouver city

Thanks! Very helpfully reply! We are going to investigate your suggestions. Train ride sounds like a lot of fun.

Vancouver, Canada
reviews: 53
7. Re: Vancouver island & Vancouver city

With only three days, I think you are stretching yourselves a bit too thin. As noted Vancouver Island is a huge place with many spectacular destinations and warrants a full two weeks all on its own. With only three days, I really don't think its realistic to try and do both Vancouver and Victoria and then return to Seattle for a flight.

I think you are going to need to take a hard look at what exactly you want to do - and I would recommend you look at the many other terrific destinations within Washington State as part of your research. If you stick with your plan to come to Canada, then I would choose either Vancouver OR southern Vancouver Island and then build your plan from there.

Victoria, Canada
Destination Expert
for Victoria, Port Angeles
reviews: 61
8. Re: Vancouver island & Vancouver city

End of August is a great time to visit as it is usually dry and warm; some of Vancouver's beaches are even warm enough for a swim then. keep us posted on your planning; for example there are various routes to get to/from Vancouver, not just i-5, depending on where you are staying etc.

there is a sort of circle route, Seattle / Tsawwassen / Victoria / Nanaimo / horseshoe bay / Vancouver, but it is too much for a five night trip, so just stick with /tsawwassen/Victoria /tsawwassen/ vancouver this time.

mufti, looks like OP is from illinois, which is nearly five times as big as vancouver island, albeit less than a sixth the size of BC :-)

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
9. Re: Vancouver island & Vancouver city

tennisjazz, :-) that's probably why they think VI is doable in 2 days.

10. Re: Vancouver island & Vancouver city

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, April 12, 2014