We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3-Day Trip from Seattle

Which Victoria hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
reviews: 7
3-Day Trip from Seattle

My husband and I are coming out to Seattle to visit our son who lives there the week of May 8-15. We've been a few times and always try to take a short trip to see something while we're there. So one option we thought about was Victoria.

We were thinking about taking the Clipper over in the morning on a Friday and spend the day in Victoria sightseeing. Then we thought of renting a car on Saturday morning just for the day and doing a drive, maybe the Pacific Marine Circle, maybe do a little hiking and seeing some nature and wildlife, beautiful scenery. We'd come back to Victoria, return the car, spend the night and do whatever else we wanted to on Sunday and head back on the late Clipper.

How does that sound? How hard or expensive would it be to rent a car for less than a day downtown there? We are American citizens so is that any problem for the car rental? Which agency would you recommend?

Also we are looking for a place we can walk to or take a short public transportation ride to spend the night. Money is an object. We would like something clean and close to places to eat and maybe some sights. It would be fun to stay close to the harbor, but we don't need anything fancy. What kind of hotel recommendations could you make? Would it be better/cheaper to buy a package through the Clipper? We need two double beds for the 3 of us. And if I didn't make it clear, we would spend two nights in a hotel there.

Also we have been to Whidbey Island and San Juan Island. Would Vancouver Island offer something special or different? We enjoyed ourselves at both places when we went before.

What do you think? We like the outdoors and I'm thinking architecture in Victoria would be interesting. Not really into shopping but sightseeing would be fun.

Thanks for your help.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
reviews: 50
1. Re: 3-Day Trip from Seattle

Hi CRose ~

You've got a great plan there. You'd be fine for renting a car for a day. If you plan to do the PMCR, it will take 2 hours to drive to Pt Renfrew, stops extra, so a nice day trip return with stops and walks.

The Inner Harbour is where you want to stay. Of the hotels that are offered with a Clipper package, the Royal Scott would be my first choice, followed by Harbour Towers. They are close to the ship's dock as well. Often the price of the package is better than booking separately. The Grand Pacific Hotel is also a choice but I personally find it huge and clinical. The only other thought I have is that if you need to look into this asap because May is very popular in Vic.

Whidbey is lovely, Victoria has the ocean and the downtown/Inner Harbour with its causeway of buskers and artists is a fun and entertaining place. Consider taking an hour's tour on the little Harbour ferry as far as the Upper Gorge. Walk in Beacon Hill Park and along Dallas Road.

2. Re: 3-Day Trip from Seattle

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, April 03, 2014