We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ferry from Vancouver to Fisherman's Wharf in Victoria?

Which Victoria hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Atlanta, Georgia
reviews: 12
Ferry from Vancouver to Fisherman's Wharf in Victoria?

Does such a ferry exist? I was thinking about taking a day trip to Victoria and going on a whale watching tour with Eagle Wing and I can't seem to find a ferry route.

calgary
reviews: 2
1. Re: Ferry from Vancouver to Fisherman's Wharf in Victoria?

Fly to Seattle and take the clipper ferry or fly directly to Victoria.

Parksville, Canada
reviews: 18
2. Re: Ferry from Vancouver to Fisherman's Wharf in Victoria?

Hi, kthom. No, sadly there is no ferry service from downtown Vancouver to downtown Victoria. If you're feeling "flush" you can take a float plane from downtown Vancouver (or the Vancouver airport) directly to Victoria's inner harbour - not far at all from Fisherman's wharf. www.harbour-air.com

Vancouver, Canada
reviews: 43
3. Re: Ferry from Vancouver to Fisherman's Wharf in Victoria?

Victoria is located on southern Vancouver Island, off the coast of mainland British Columbia. VI is larger than many visitors realize. (It takes about 7 hours to drive from southern VI to the northern part of the island and about 3 - 3 1/2 hours to drive east/west at the mid-point.)

A trip from downtown Vancouver to downtown Victoria by car or bus (Pacific Coach Lines) takes about 4 hours. The ferry on the mainland side is approximately 45 minutes south of Vancouver (at Tsawwassen); the ferry on the VI side is approximately 30 minutes north of Victoria(at Swartz Bay). The ferry ride itself is 90 minutes and is quite lovely. (You also have to allow time to arrive early enough to get the ferry you want.)

We generally suggest, for visitors not flying, that Victoria is best done as an overnight trip, since getting there/back involves 8 hours of transportation. Once you arrive in downtown Victoria, there is a small water taxi from the Inner Harbour to "Fisherman's Wharf".

Edited: 11:36 pm, March 31, 2013
Vancouver, Canada
reviews: 46
4. Re: Ferry from Vancouver to Fisherman's Wharf in Victoria?

The only harbour to harbour service is by air. Using Pacific Coach Lines gets you downtown to downtown. Or you can just go whale watching from Vancouver. It's a longer trip from this side, but you are going to see the same whales.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
reviews: 13
5. Re: Ferry from Vancouver to Fisherman's Wharf in Victoria?

Have you considered whale watching out of Vancouver instead? It will save you the hassle of having to travel to Vancouver Island - you see the same pods of whales that the Victoria companies see, you just depart out of Vancouver. It's worth a consideration, especially if that's the only reason you're going to Victoria for. It takes 4 hours to travel to Victoria from Vancouver via ferry/bus. That's 8 hours of travelling.

Edited: 12:18 pm, April 01, 2013
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
reviews: 13
6. Re: Ferry from Vancouver to Fisherman's Wharf in Victoria?

... thought I clarified, but I apparently didn't. Meant to say that's 8 hours round trip of travelling - it takes 3-4 hours to travel from Vancouver to Victoria, one way.

Victoria, Canada
Destination Expert
for Victoria, Port Angeles
reviews: 59
7. Re: Ferry from Vancouver to Fisherman's Wharf in Victoria?

I'm not sure that the tours out of Vancouver are identical to the ones out of Victoria. Yes, they do go to pretty much the same areas to see the same whales. But i suspect that there is less variety in crafts out of Vancouver. For example, depending on your point of view, open zodiac style boats are more fun, and might get a bit closer to the whales, but i don't think they operate out of Vancouver. (Eagle Wing only operates out of Victoria as far as I know.)

another possibility is a combined flight/whale-watching tour with the seaplane operator Harbour Air www.harbour-air.com/tours.php… . Expensive! But on a clear day the flight is very special as it flies fairly low so you get great views of the Gulf Islands.

I'm with itchyfeet though -- come on and stay at least one night if you haven't been here before!

Victoria, BC Canada
Destination Expert
for Victoria
reviews: 12
8. Re: Ferry from Vancouver to Fisherman's Wharf in Victoria?

There is also the option of whale watching on your way over. Prince of Whales does a Victoria Day trip.

www.princeofwhales.com/vancouver-departures/

9. Re: Ferry from Vancouver to Fisherman's Wharf in Victoria?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, April 03, 2014