We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Victoria...Ideas?

Which Victoria hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Hyderabad, India
Destination Expert
for Hyderabad
reviews: 10
Victoria...Ideas?

Hi,

I'm coming to Victoria for a day from Vancouver - coming on Sunday morning, returning Monday morning. Pretty much free in between, and can rent a car if required. Any suggestions on what I can do in that time? Would like to get a 'feel' of the island, if you get what I mean. Not particularly interested inButchart.

Will I have enough to see within the city itself (in which case I won't rent a car, and will rely on buses), or any really scenic drives /beautiful viewpoints, where I can drive to in a couple of hours - in which case I'll rent a car.

Know it's pretty late in the day, but just trying to see if anyone has any ideas beyond the usual attractions that can give a unique local flavour to my trip!

Thanks for your advise!

- JK

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
reviews: 13
1. Re: Victoria...Ideas?

Hey JK,

You won't really get a feel for the whole island in one day, but it will certainly give you enough of a taste of Victoria.

Victoria's a relatively small city, and if you're only going to be spending part of the day there, I would honestly forget about renting the car. Instead, I would take Pacific Coachlines instead. You can pick up this coach from the Pacific Central bus/train station in Vancouver. It drives you over the ferry terminal, onto the ferry, off the ferry, and then down the highway into downtown Victoria.

If you're not interested in Butchart, I'd just recommend strolling around downtown Victoria's Inner Harbour. Definitely visit the Royal BC Museum. Chinatown is very small, but Fan Tan Alley is really neat. Market Square and Bastion Square are quaint shopping plazas, and the BC Legislature as well as the Empress give you great examples of famous architecture. If you have time, stroll up Fort Street (I believe that's the right street) past the antique shops, up the hill to Craigdarroch Castle. It'll give you some insight into colonial-era Victoria history. Finally,

Once again, Victoria is a very unique, picturesque city, but it's really the only place like it on Vancouver Island. If you're looking for old growth rainforests, small fishing villages, and miles of sandy beach - that awaits you on the western coast of Vancouver Island.

Hyderabad, India
Destination Expert
for Hyderabad
2. Re: Victoria...Ideas?

Hey thanks a ton, Robyn! Am sure this trip is going to be great, and largely due to all the help you have extended in planning it!!! Can't wait to drive out this evening :)

Looks like I'll have enough to do in Victoria, and that promises to be interesting by itself, so will stick to that!

Thanks again,

- JK

Hyderabad, India
Destination Expert
for Hyderabad
3. Re: Victoria...Ideas?

Hey thanks a ton, Robyn! Am sure this trip is going to be great, and largely due to all the help you have extended in planning it!!! Can't wait to drive out this evening :)

Looks like I'll have enough to do in Victoria, and that promises to be interesting by itself, so will stick to that!

Thanks again,

- JK

Victoria, BC Canada
Destination Expert
for Victoria
reviews: 12
4. Re: Victoria...Ideas?

While compared to Vancouver, Canada's third largest city, Victoria is smaller but we are still the 13th largest city in Canada and the second largest in BC. The PCL is a great way to travel from Vancouver to Victoria and if you want to do the touristy things here, you won't need a car. If you'd like to see more scenery, rent a car and take a drive around the water's edge and see Oak Bay or Sidney, maybe Goldstream park or up the Malahat to the viewpoint up there (go to the third one from Victoria, it's the best!) or even up Mt Doug or Mt Tolmie right in Victoria itself.

If you are going to hang around downtown Victoria, take a harbour ferry for a tour of the Inner Harbour or a Tally-ho horse drawn tour of downtown Victoria.

5. Re: Victoria...Ideas?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:16 am, August 14, 2009