We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Choir Performances in Victoria

Which Victoria hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Medford, Oregon...
Choir Performances in Victoria

I will be bringing a group of 30-35 high-school-aged singers to Victoria for two days this summer (June 24-25, 2013). This ensemble sings very well a diverse set of literature styles and the kids are very entertaining. We would like to perform at 2-3 venues in Victoria if possible. When visiting in 2007, we sang casual impromptu/acoustical experience concerts in the Parliament Bldg, Craigdarroch Castle, at the Conservatory, along the Inner Harbour(without permission ) and an impromptu concert for cruise ship visitors at the Empress Hotel. Any ideas about finding good venues for performances --- or links to get permission to sing well before our travel dates? Thank you! Pam Nordquist Rogue Valley Youth Ensemble -- Medford, Oregon

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
reviews: 51
1. Re: Choir Performances in Victoria

Hey Pam, welcome to the forum ~

Sounds like fun ... And a handful!

Are you looking for indoor venues this time? Are you planning to sing a capella or are you needing a piano?

And have you got some Canadian Content on your program? Huh? huh? Maybe some Chatman, Sled, or Shafer. Just kidding. I've got to run, but will be back with a thought or two.

Oh, and everyone will have a passport or appropriate ID to get back into the US, right?

Edited: 7:46 pm, March 26, 2013
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
2. Re: Choir Performances in Victoria

My suggestion would be to contact one or even both of the following choral organizations to ask them exactly what you asked here.

BC Choral Federation: http://www.bcchoralfed.com/about/board ..... Look at the bottom "Staff - Anita Lindsay" or the Victoria representative or the Capital Region representative. Emails are contained there.

You could also contact by email the Victoria Summer Choir because they would be finding some places to sing outdoors I would think: http://victoriasummerchoir.ca/

Ask them to point you in the right direction for seeing about what you would like to do in Victoria.

Medford, Oregon...
3. Re: Choir Performances in Victoria

Thank you very much. I have an old contact for the university, but will give it a try via email tomorrow. Should I contact the Inner Harbour for permission to perform as street musicians? I appreciate your quick response -- very helpful! If you have any other tips for us, we would be most grateful! Blessings.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
4. Re: Choir Performances in Victoria

I think your contacts in Victoria would be able to tell you if you need to contact anybody. I would think spontaneous moments of singing would be quite different from wanting to schedule something at a given location. But I don't know for sure.

Victoria, BC Canada
Destination Expert
for Victoria
reviews: 12
5. Re: Choir Performances in Victoria

All performers and buskers need a licence to perform or sell at the Inner Harbour. Here's a website where you can contact the Greater Victoria Harbour Authority for more info: http://gvha.v3.ca/f_licensee.php

Growing up, we performed on the BC Ferries for a crossing. I don't know if they do that anymore but certainly ask, especially if you are travelling to the Island that way. http://www.bcferries.com/contact_us/

Here's the city of Victoria website about outdoor performance areas and all the contact info: victoria.ca/EN/…other.html

MOORHEAD
reviews: 34
6. Re: Choir Performances in Victoria

I am bringing my choir to Victoria in June 2014, so I'm hoping you will share your findings with me!

Medford, Oregon...
7. Re: Choir Performances in Victoria

We had a wonderful experience traveling to Victoria, BC this summer. Thank you to the experts for great tips on performance venues. Our high school students really liked the concerts and the sightseeing. Touring and singing at the Parliament Building were highlights of our tour. Go to the website to apply for a performance time and a tour peo@leg.bc.ca. Craigdarroch is always worth it for the tour and informal singing experience on the dance hall floor. These days you have to coach kids how to get the most out of a museum --- stop to look at the pictures, read captions, bios, and family stories. Christ Church Cathedral was a terrific stop for an informal singing experience -- both in the main sactuary and up behind the altar area. Beautiful acoustic. We performed at Market Square at noon -- no audience. And, this year's performance at the Empress Hotel was disappointing. We sang for about 90 minutes from a stairway near the grand piano, but we did not have any eye contact with the tea patrons. They could not see us -- and we could not see them so it seemed we were just wallpaper. Not much fun. We also performed both ways on the ferry for a very receptive audience. Very fun. Again, thanks for the trip tips and candid information.. We had a blast!

8. Re: Choir Performances in Victoria

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, July 16, 2014