We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cruise stop in Victoria - How to get to Fort Rodd Hill

Which Victoria hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
West Valley City...
Cruise stop in Victoria - How to get to Fort Rodd Hill

Our cruise ship stops in Victoria for the day 9am-6pm. We have booked the hop on/off bus to see the city but we are really interested in seeing the Fisgard Lighthouse. Any easy/cheap ways to get there from the cruise port? Dont want to rent a car.

Victoria
reviews: 120
1. Re: Cruise stop in Victoria - How to get to Fort Rodd Hill

Sadly renting a car is the best advice :) You can rent from Budget pretty reasonably and they should pick you up at the terminal. With a car and a day you could see a lot!

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
reviews: 54
2. Re: Cruise stop in Victoria - How to get to Fort Rodd Hill

taxime.ca estimates $50 one way for a taxi. Enter Ogden Point in one search field and Fort Rodd Hill in the other search field. It's a 17 km and 25 minute drive.

Vancouver, Canada
reviews: 53
3. Re: Cruise stop in Victoria - How to get to Fort Rodd Hill

It would be $50 to rent two bicycles for the day....

http://www.coastalcycle.com/bike-rentals/

seattle
Destination Expert
for Seattle
reviews: 84
4. Re: Cruise stop in Victoria - How to get to Fort Rodd Hill

I went to the website to see if I could figure out where the lightouse is. Fisgard is the main street bordering Chinatown so the hop on bus would go there. If your taking the hoho bus then it will also go along the water and there is another lighthouse near cattle point. I'm not sure if the lh you refer to is in the inner harbor or along the shore drive.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
reviews: 54
5. Re: Cruise stop in Victoria - How to get to Fort Rodd Hill

Fisgard Lighthouse is in Fort Rodd Hill. in Esquimalt. Map location: http://goo.gl/maps/u6R9E

Ucluelet
6. Re: Cruise stop in Victoria - How to get to Fort Rodd Hill

Fisgard Lighthouse is a ways from downtown Victoria - about 14 km or so. I think a vehicle rental would allow you to do more. It would seem to me that you would pass the lighthouse and be able to see it from the ship, as well, on the way into the Victoria Harbour.

Victoria, Canada
reviews: 2
7. Re: Cruise stop in Victoria - How to get to Fort Rodd Hill

Fort Rodd hill is NOT in Esquimalt proper. I live in Esquimalt. It would be quite a long bike ride. It's on Esquimalt Harbour,but the

Western Communities side of the harbour. It would be at least a 20-30 minute drive from the cruise ship pier... depending on traffic.

You should rent a car. The taxi fare would be $$$

Vancouver, Canada
8. Re: Cruise stop in Victoria - How to get to Fort Rodd Hill

Google maps has it at 17 km from the cruise ship peir to the entrance to the National Historic Site. Not an unreasonable bike ride, but that's probably not a practical option in these specific circumstances. I was more making the point that even going by bicycle was going to cost $50.

Its very close to Royal Roads University, so public bus must be an option? At least to get within walking distance?

Vancouver, Canada
9. Re: Cruise stop in Victoria - How to get to Fort Rodd Hill

Quickly typed it into Google maps and clicked on the transit tab and got:

the 61 bus

the 39 bus

a 1.9 km walk to the park entrance.

Ucluelet
10. Re: Cruise stop in Victoria - How to get to Fort Rodd Hill

Google maps is linked on Victoria transit, but google maps can be quite full of errors. I still think a car is going to make more sense. I did find a special section on Victoria Transit online describing the actual bus route.

Here is the link right to the Victoria transit site, along with other descriptions of bus routes to other attractions.

transitbc.com/regions/…attractions.cfm

Fort Rodd Hill National Historic Site, 603 Fort Rodd Hill Rd.

Bring a picnic and enjoy spectacular mountain and ocean views while exploring an 1890s artillery fort built to defend Victoria and the Esquimalt Naval Base. Visitors can step back in time while viewing three gun batteries, an underground magazine, guardhouse decked out in period furnishings. Children will delight in tidal pools. Interpretive signs and audio-visual stations throughout the site.

Details at www.fortroddhill.com or call 250-478-5849.

Take the #25 (limited service), #50 or #61 to Western Exchange, and walk along Ocean Blvd. (2.2-km scenic walk).