We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Recommendations for a special bday dinner

Which Victoria hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
BC - Canada
reviews: 12
Recommendations for a special bday dinner

I am from the mainland, but my boyfriend lives in Victoria. I am planning to take him out for a special dinner on his birthday on February 22nd.

I am looking for recommendations for something hopefully around downtown or the Inner Harbour. Any thoughts on someplace with a romantic ambiance, and great food? He likes anything, so it is more about the atmosphere/food combination. I am not looking for a pub atmosphere, or a chain (ie. no Cactus Club or the like).

Thanks!!

Dallas, Oregon
reviews: 266
1. Re: Recommendations for a special bday dinner

For a special occasion dinner, I can't think of a better choice than Restaurant Matisse on Yates at Wharf. The ambience is quite romantic and the food and wine selections are out of this world. I can't think of a better meal at any price in Victoria. Whatever you prefer in cuisine, you'll find something you'll love on their classic French menu. The seafood, poultry and meat dishes are perfection. Just make sure to save room for dessert -- the presentations are works of art, and incredibly, they taste even better than they look -- if that's possible!

Victoria, Canada
Destination Expert
for Victoria, Port Angeles
reviews: 54
2. Re: Recommendations for a special bday dinner

OK my wife says go to the Bon Rouge; it offers a variety of seatings plus a great menu.

For me it would be the Bengal Lounge in the Empress ... posh but still intimate in its own way. The 22nd is a Friday so there will be a very good jazz combo in the corner.

Both the Blue Crab and Lure overlook the harbour and are superb restaurants but not quite as intimate or warm feeling.

Happy Birthday!

Victoria, Canada
reviews: 8
3. Re: Recommendations for a special bday dinner

The Bengal Lounge is my favourite spot in Victoria.

Il Terrazo is downtown but not on the harbour. It is pretty inside and good food.

It's not downtown but the Oak Bay Marina is on the water and has excellent food and service.

Dallas, Oregon
4. Re: Recommendations for a special bday dinner

We love the food and the great wine list at Il Terrazzo (just up the alley from Matisse), but it can be a bit noisy for intimate conversation -- especially at dinner. It's usually our first meal stop (lunch) when we arrive in Victoria.

Vancouver, Canada
reviews: 43
5. Re: Recommendations for a special bday dinner

Start at Matisse and finish at the Bengal Room. The Memsaab and I have loved the Begal Room for years!

BC - Canada
reviews: 12
6. Re: Recommendations for a special bday dinner

Thanks all!!

Dallas, Oregon
7. Re: Recommendations for a special bday dinner

Dinner at Matisse, followed by a romantic stroll along the harbor to the Empress for a nightcap at the Bengal Lounge. Excellent plan for a memorable birthday!!

Edited: 4:56 pm, February 16, 2013
Victoria, Canada
reviews: 21
8. Re: Recommendations for a special bday dinner

Lure Restaurant in the Delta Ocean Pointe Resort & Spa has floor to ceiling glass windows that will give you a view of downtown Victoria and the parliament buildings lit up at night. Very romantic. There is also the West Song Walkway for that cozy after-dinner stroll.

Victoria
reviews: 118
9. Re: Recommendations for a special bday dinner

Matisse is great - very traditional French in a nice romantic atmosphere.

Cafe Brio is my "Go To" for inventive delicious food in a fun room

Ulla is a "New Fave"

10. Re: Recommendations for a special bday dinner

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:15 am, February 19, 2014