We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Family reunion destination

Which Victoria hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Lafayette, CA
Family reunion destination

I am planning our August '05 family reunion. We have approximately 30 relatives from around the US, ages 1 to 81 years who gather at different locations every other year. This time I'm in charge and am planning our trip for Victoria, BC. None of the family has been to Victoria - I am researching via the web and AAA. Any suggestions for family friendly lodgings with swimming pool (suites are needed for some of us)? We aren't a fancy resort kind of family.

Has anyone every stayed at either the Queen Victoria Hotel (655 Douglas St.) or at the Royal Scot Suite Hotel (425 Quebec St.)? Is this Inner Harbor location safe for the teen agers to walk in the evening, without adult supervision?

Thanks for your suggestions.

Phyllis

Vancouver BC
reviews: 6
1. Re: Family reunion destination

I haven't stayed at either of the properties that you mention, but I have spent a lot of time in the inner harbour area. i would say it is quite safe for teens as long as they aren't looking for trouble! There are a few nightclubs in the area, so there is a lot of foot traffic through the evening.

Kelowna B.C.Canada
reviews: 3
2. Re: Family reunion destination

Victoria, the capital of B.C. Canada is bustling during the spring and summer months -do reserve your accommodation early. Not to be missed is the BC Museum (presently showing artifacts from Egypt), but they always have something of interest for everyone.

Victoria is called the garden city for a reason- fabulous residential gardens towards Oak Bay and beyond as well as the famous Buchart gardens.

If time permits go to Uclulet, or Tofino on the west side, or up to Nanimo and Campbell River staight up-island from Victoria. Lots to do- consult the travel brochurs for world class salmon fishing, or just island hopping over to Saltspring Island.

Sooke, B.C.
3. Re: Family reunion destination

wow, 30 relatives. Definitely the type of party for the Royal Scot Inn. I highly recommend it. Right in the heart of downtown Vict too. Not far from the beach and the cruise ship docks at Ogden Point. Lots for all ages to do within walking distance. Very safe at all hours. Of course, teenagers will find trouble if they're looking for it, as one other writer mentioned.

Daytrips upisland to Nanaimo, Chemainus, Coombs, Cathedral Grove, down to Sooke, French Beach, or up the penninsula to Sidney, are all an easy drive. A trip to the west side of the island, Tofino, Port Alberni, Uclulet, is best done over a couple of days (doesn't look far on the map but it was a winding logging road that's been paved and is still winding). Longer trips too for Campbell River and Gold River - got any sport fishing fanatics in your group? As for the Gulf Islands, you can cruise around on the ferry, or get off on one of the islands and stay over... famous for their B+B's , sheepfarms, handmade crafts and fabulous art.

You're approaching it the smart way, via the internet. But Aug is peak season so secure your accomodations well in advance.

Fremont, CA
reviews: 2
4. Re: Family reunion destination

Phyllis, don't know if you are still reading this but by all means the Royal Scot would be perfect. They have all the amenities that a reunion would want. All kinds of suites. I can't wait to go back and stay there again. It is a great location and I think very safe for teenagers. There is also stuff for the teenagers to do, pool, game room to meet, not video though. It is not fancy but so comfortable, clean and family friendly. By the way, I live in Fremont, CA Don't know anything about the Quenn Vicotoria but you can't go wrong with the RS